Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 01:25 AM

Default Top 2 against a big fish

Live €1-€1 game tonight. Good game. 9 handed. SB has €100, MP has €1000 and I cover. MP is an enormous calling station who will take any nut flush draw or open ended straight draw to the river, and he is having a great night, he is way up. He is usually aggressive with a good made hand, rarely slowplays or check raises. SB is unknown/somewhat passive.

UTG makes it €4 blind, MP calls, I make it €15 in LP with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB, MP and someone else call.

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB bets €60. MP calls. The other player gets out of the way either before or after MP. I make it €225, SB calls all in €25 more, villain calls.

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Sweet. Villain checks and looks up at me expectantly. I am fairly sure this means he has Kx [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and since there isn't much else on the flop, probably not much else. I bet 400 he calls.

River 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He checks, I check.

How's my play?

edit: I posted this forgetting to ask the main question I had in mind. Do I still bet if turn comes a blank and villain checks?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Top 2 against a big fish

Given your description I would still bet blank turn since you are fairly certain he is drawing. You don't want to let him draw for free, and from your read it seems unlikely he has a set so I wouldn't worry too much about a slowplay
Old 06-16-2006, 04:57 AM

After thinking a bit about the hand I like it alot. You're building a pot for the 25% of the time ish when you REALLY like the river card, plus you are juicing the guy that likely has a weak draw.

On the river, unless he is also a retard, I cant imagine him calling with anything you beat, but you would know better than I. I would check behind a vast majority of the time.

I was wondering what I would do if the turn card came differently, giving you no (or few) more outs to a monster hand. a 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] while a relatively safe turn card, would also make my instinct to play more passively. Originally I thought Checking the turn and betting the river on a non-heart (in the hypothetical 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hand), but after considering it I hate that line since he draws for free and might hit some stupid [censored] to beat you.

I can't imagine any value on the river except for possibly a very small (1/3rd or less pot) bet that he will call with a wide range of hands. This is based on your "calling station" description. However, I much prefer checking behind.

Overall I say you played it well.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine any value on the river except for possibly a very small (1/3rd or less pot) bet that he will call with a wide range of hands. This is based on your "calling station" description. However, I much prefer checking behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet "rarely" slowplays/checkraises increases vs you to the point where you’ll get paid off by a smaller bet less than you’d lose if he hit his straight. Therefore, I also agree you don’t want to do anything but check behind.

Did the small stack have a flush draw or a set?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:57 AM

short stack had 44, villain had K8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] so all more or less as expected and mhig for the big side pot. Thinking about the hand now I don't think it's all that interesting, against other players maybe check behind on the turn for pot control should be standard but here it's fairly clear.