Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Building A Bar In My Basement

So after getting settled in my new house, the little woman and I decided we need a bar in the basement. We took the hundreds of dollars worth of Home Depot gift cards we got as house warming gifts and bought the lumber and some new toys (circular saw, miter saw, jigsaw, etc.).

What I know I will have:
Bar will be 42" high, 24" deep, and 72" long
Framing of the structure and cabinets will be made out of 2x3 pine
Sides, front, and cabinet doors will be made out of 1/2" MDF
Will have built in wine rack made from 1/4" sheets of cedar, laid out in the standard diamond pattern.
Will have the padded rail

What I need ideas for:
What type of wood for the top?
What type of veneer for the front and sides?
Should it have the brass footrail?
What would I use for something like that?
What other general tips/suggestions do you have? (not necessarily about bars, but also woodworking in general)

I have built things before and love to work with wood, but more input is always much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Building A Bar In My Basement

Are you putting in a keg fridge and draught tower?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 AM

My only advice would be this, if you build shelves under the bar, make sure they are spacious enough to handle liquor bottles. My Wife's Ex husband effed this up bigtime and it would be very hard to fix without ripping out most of the bar. He was one of those guys that thought he could do a ton more than he actually could.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you putting in a keg fridge and draught tower?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a wood veneer fridge that I am putting underneath (as the dimensions of the fridge are perfect). This will hold me over for now until I get the keggerator kit off Ebay. The fridge is big enough to hold a 1/4 keg. I will use the hole saw to install the tap tower.

Trik- yeah I measured out correctly to make sure the booze fits.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:42 AM

If your're going to be aging the wine in the racks, I'd avoid an aromatic wood like cedar, the scent can sometimes be picked up by the cork. But if you're like me who ages his wine about 15 minutes, which is about the time it takes me to get home from the liquor store, it should'nt matter.

I'd go with an artifical top for the bar, easier clean up.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:44 AM

Good point on the cedar. Maybe I'll just use fiberboard.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:49 AM

I was thining of building a bar myself and really wanted a marble top (the bar is not in the basement - it is the dining room so should be nice). I heard though that marble can stain quite easily and needed to be treated to avoid this.

My question is how reliable is this sealer they will treat the marble with? Will I find a stain in 6 months and then learn that you have to reseal the sucker regularly or something?

GL on building your own bar, I wish I had the skills/motivation to do this myself.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:52 AM

Ive built about 6 or 7 bars for friends, ranging from little wet bars to a nice 10 footer in a buddies basement. Cheapest way, imo, frame everything up with 2x4s, stick your cabinets in the frame, get 1/4 cherry, and use that as the "skin" of ht bar, stain everything before you cut, clear coat the front, and use the thick, pourable clear coat (like 1/3 of an inch think) for the top, you can even stick playing/baseball cards, bottle caps, etc under that clear coat on the top of the bar, its pretty sweet. you need to get some strips and run it around the top to keep the clear coat on, then get trim to cover where the strips were. Also, a really nice looking trick for the front:

Get picture frame strips, router a 1/4 inch of the inside end, get an extra piece of the 1/4 inch cherry, and make a square out of it (depending on how big the front of the bar is), then "frame" the cherry peice, and nail it all to the front of hte bar, you can even stain the little "picture" a lighter color for a different kind of look .
Old 06-06-2006, 11:00 AM

Thanks! We want to glaze an antique map into the top of it (she collects maps and globes), so you info will really come in handy.

As for the front, I was going to make a plywood overlay with the jigsaw and mount it over the MDF front to make the effect of the 3D framed squares, but your plan is cheaper and less labor intensive. Good stuff.

What kind of wood did you use for the top?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks! We want to glaze an antique map into the top of it (she collects maps and globes), so you info will really come in handy.

As for the front, I was going to make a plywood overlay with the jigsaw and mount it over the MDF front to make the effect of the 3D framed squares, but your plan is cheaper and less labor intensive. Good stuff.

What kind of wood did you use for the top?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used cheap ass particle board, then I glued, and nailed 1/4 inch cherry on top of that, MUCH cheaper. you can then get this cool looking trim at home depot (there are all kinds, I usually use the stuff that looks like grape vines), and trim out the whole top of the bar to cover up the nails, and the part where i had to frame out the top to pour the cleaer coat, just make sure you cover the nail holes in the trim w/ wood putty, and it will look awesome.