Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 11:42 PM

Default 2 semi interesting hands against the same villian (100nl)

Both of these hands were played within a few minutes of each other at the same table. UTG seems like a decent player - he's a 26/13/1.15 after about 125 hands. He's my villian for the second hand too. We haven't had any significant history with each other before these hands that I could remember. SB is terrible though - he's an 81/15/1.4 after 46. Nothing special has been going on between us, it's just been a lot of me raising preflop, him folding or calling and folding to my flop cbet most of the time. I've been somewhat laggy which I think sb has been picking up on because he had been calling more of my cbets recently, but I'm not sure if UTG has been paying much attention to me.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($100)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($144.50)</font>
MP ($98.50)
Button ($109.10)
SB ($205.32)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $3.50, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($12) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks (after thinking for a while), <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $9</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $9.

Turn: ($30) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $24</font>, UTG calls $24.

River: ($78) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: $78

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero ($172.80)
BB ($106)
UTG ($102.35)
MP ($106.10)
Button ($173.32)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, Button calls $1, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $12</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, Button folds, Hero calls $7.50.

Turn: ($29) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $20</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $49
Old 06-09-2006, 11:50 PM

Default Re: 2 semi interesting hands against the same villian (100nl)

I am not so sure about your turn bet in the first hand. The only hand you beat at this point is a flush draw, and you're probably not going to get him to fold. So basically you're forced to check on the river because a bet will never win you money, and can get put to a real tough decision if he bets big.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:54 PM

I think I'm ahead of a lot of hands on that turn. I don't really assume that I'm behind simply because he cbet 3 handed. I think he would do that with most hands that he's raising preflop.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:59 AM

I think your flop line is ill-advised in hand 1. If you're going to call his inevitable cbet on this board, then you should LEAD the flop. Based on his stats, you can safely fold to a raise as it probably means at least an overpair to your 66. Why did you choose to check/call here? I even like a check/raise better than your line, and I think flop c/r are mostly bad ideas. Second hand is fine.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your flop line is ill-advised in hand 1. If you're going to call his inevitable cbet on this board, then you should LEAD the flop. Based on his stats, you can safely fold to a raise as it probably means at least an overpair to your 66. Why did you choose to check/call here? I even like a check/raise better than your line, and I think flop c/r are mostly bad ideas. Second hand is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're highly underestimating the number of times a worse hand than 66 is going to pop that flop if you lead. btw, i don't really like the turn lead because he checks behind with air a ton of times fearing a c/r from a J.

hand 2 is pretty standard unless villain plays nitty. then c/r all in. if he's too loose and pays off a lot, then call.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:50 AM

no need to make a big pot on the first hand. your hand fairs better with a cheap showdown rather then making a big pot. hand 2 is good.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you're highly underestimating the number of times a worse hand than 66 is going to pop that flop if you lead. btw, i don't really like the turn lead because he checks behind with air a ton of times fearing a c/r from a J.

hand 2 is pretty standard unless villain plays nitty. then c/r all in. if he's too loose and pays off a lot, then call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, villain's aggression is 1.15 - he's pretty passive. He's not raising that flop with any hand that we're ahead of if we lead. You have to tailor your advice to the reads given.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:41 PM

Villian isn't raising that flop in hand one. He's cbetting 3 handed which he could definetly be doing with unimproved overcards. This is also why I lead the turn - yes, he will check behind the turn with air but that's exactly what I don't want him to do. I want to bet out and take the pot against the range of hands that I beat, rather than giving him a free card to draw out on me. If I get called though I'm not committing any more money into the pot.