Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 09:21 AM

Default Upconverting DVD Players

Does anybody own one of these? Does it really make DVD's look a lot better?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Upconverting DVD Players

Doubtful. If you don't have one, your TV is going to upconvert (scale) the picture anyway. It's not a given that the DVD player will do a better job of it than your TV; depends on the models. From everything I've read, it's mostly a sales gimmick. "You are buying an HDTV, now you need a 'HD' DVD player!"

Supposedly the Faroudja scalers are far and away the best, but the DVD players that have it are very expensive. If you got one of those, it might be worth it.

FWIW I have a 42" Sony KDFEA10 (RP LCD) with a basic $75 sony dvd player. Most DVDs look very close to HD quality. A friend of mine has a cheapish LG upconverting player, and I don't think it looks any better. Perhaps worse. But it's not a fair comparison because he has a 62" screen.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doubtful. If you don't have one, your TV is going to upconvert (scale) the picture anyway. It's not a given that the DVD player will do a better job of it than your TV; depends on the models. From everything I've read, it's mostly a sales gimmick. "You are buying an HDTV, now you need a 'HD' DVD player!"

Supposedly the Faroudja scalers are far and away the best, but the DVD players that have it are very expensive. If you got one of those, it might be worth it.

FWIW I have a 42" Sony KDFEA10 (RP LCD) with a basic $75 sony dvd player. Most DVDs look very close to HD quality. A friend of mine has a cheapish LG upconverting player, and I don't think it looks any better. Perhaps worse. But it's not a fair comparison because he has a 62" screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, DVDs play at 480 lines. My new TV does 1080i. The real problem is that it's a 55 inch TV that I'll be sitting about 9 feet from - which is close to ideal for HD viewing, but really too close for SD, and DVD's might fall somewhere in the middle. so an upconverter might help me out a lot
Old 06-07-2006, 10:13 AM

Your tv will display the picture at 1080i no matter what the source is. So in this case it will take a 480p dvd signal and scale it to 1080, and de-interlace it. If you get an upconverting dvd player and set it to 1080i output, then the dvd player will do the scaling/deinterlacing. So that's why I'm saying it may not make a difference, because it's entirely possible your TV will do a better job of it than the dvd player. It just depends on the quality of each.