Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Boxing: Tarver/Hopkins June 10

I originally posted this in OOT, but no-one seems to care. Im not much of a sports fan so I'd actually never noticed this forum before.

Man, I am so pumped for this fight.

An overview:

Bernard Hopkins is a middleweight fighter who had succesfully defended his middleweight title 20 consecutive times over 10 years until recently losing it. Now, at 41 - he is jumping up TWO weightclasses to challenge Antonio Tarver for the light-heavyweight title. Few fighters have ever attempted this feat, one mentionable being Sugar Ray Robinson who jumped 2 classes to fight Joey Maxim. He lost, and it was the last fight he ever fought.
Antonio Tarver is (arguably) considered the best boxer to come into boxing since Mike Tyson in the 80's. Tarver gained his title after besting Roy Jones Jr (considered one of the best pound-for-pound boxers OF ALL TIME) TWICE.
Hopkins fights at around 160 lbs as a middleweight, Tarver is coming off working on Rocky 6 where he was rumored to be around 220. Both must get their weight to around 175 for this fight.

Anyone have any predictions for this fight?

Any speculation on Hopkins' motives?

Favorites?

Opinions?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Boxing: Tarver/Hopkins June 10

I hoping this fight will be a good one, but I would not be surprised if it is not. I think Tarver will win.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:54 AM

Tarver the best boxer since Mike Tyson? What? None of that makes any sense.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tarver the best boxer since Mike Tyson? What? None of that makes any sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no no no. I think I worded that sentence ineffecively. Im saying no ones entrence into boxing has generated so much buzz and excitement since Tarver. His potential is HUGE.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:50 AM

Seriously? He's approaching 40 with 3 losses. He beat a washed up Roy. And he's in the light heavyweight division, a division where most people couldn't name more than 3 boxers.

What's the big deal? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 AM

Really, no one cares about Tarver. He's 38, and hasn't fought anyone but an even older RJJ and Glen Johnson since early 2003.

There are at least 20 boxers off the top of my head since Tyson's first fight who are better boxers than Tarver.

As much as I might dislike him, you cannot seriously but Tarver above Floyd Mayweather.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 AM

I'm glad you posted about boxing since it's the best sport. That being said, I am a huge Tarver hater, and I loved watching ESPN's recent replay of when Eric Harding beat the crap out of him. He did beat Roy Jones, but he acts as if he's the best boxer in the world when he's not even top 10 lb-for-lb. I really, really hope Hopkins beats the hell out of him, but the size disadvantage is very significant, and Hopkins doesn't seem to throw punches anymore. Tarver's main issue will be stamina. He gases at the end of fights, and Hopkins is going to make him miss a lot. I actually think the fight will be very boring with not many punches landed. Tarver is going to be coming forward but not landing much. There will be a lot of clinching. Tarver will start strong, but Hopkins will take some later rounds while losing a 116-112, 117-111 type decision. The weight Tarver just gained and lost is going to take a huge toll on him. Hopefully he runs out of steam early enough to get KTFO.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Antonio Tarver is (arguably) considered the best boxer to come into boxing since Mike Tyson in the 80's.

[/ QUOTE ]

By whom? Tarver had a lukewarm career, then beat a RJJ that was not THAT rjj. I'm not saying hes crap, not at all, but hes between 6-10 on my p4p list.

Anywho...it is an intriguing matchup, and if you dont realy watch boxing, it might seem a snozefest,an if you DO see the subtleties/subplots...it could be one of the most interestin fights of the year (not FOTY mind you, IFOTY).

B-hop...if his body can perform (essential)....stands to win this on...get ready for it...Counter-counter-punching (!) I think hopkins plan might be to open pawing exchanges, drawing Traver counters, of which he will, by mid/late round, be able to come back at with devestating re-counters. B-hop wont win on workrate, but hes a damn smart fighter.

Oh, i was of the same opinion for Tarver/RJJ 1...so its not like i've never underestimated Tarver before [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but im just saying i dont see him dominating a top fighter in their prime. Who has he beat that meats that description?
Now, we will have to see if Bhop shows his age.
*I thought hopkins beat taylor in the first fight
Old 06-04-2006, 06:22 AM

Oh, i'll say too, im definately watching this one, but my anticipation for Winky vs Taylor >>> this fight.

Havent been looking forward to a fight this much in like 2 years.

June 17th.