Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 09:31 AM

Default 2/4 6max What\'s my best line here?

Villain in this hand is clowntownUSA, 45/4 donk. He seems pretty neutral postflop, not overly aggro or passive.

I've been doing a lot of open raising and I've been giving up postflop when met with resistance - which hasn't been often.

What's my best line here against this opponent? What's my best line against a solid tag?

All replies appreciated.

KoW

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">BB ($395.30)</font>
UTG ($445.15)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($400)</font>
CO ($528.80)
Button ($479.31)
SB ($985.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $10.

Flop: ($30) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $22</font>, BB calls $22.

Turn: ($74) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $55</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $135</font>, Hero ??
Old 05-31-2006, 09:53 AM

Default Re: 2/4 6max What\'s my best line here?

Hey Kow..

Whatever you do, don't fold. Vs a donk I push the turn, against a solid I'd probably smooth call in position.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:36 PM

Clowntown seems difficult to extract from ... he seems to be marginally agressive, but really shuts down if you represent a real big hand.

I would probably just call here and let him fire again. I seem to remember him folding twice to my three bets ... by my memory might be off.

If you call, he'll probably just check/fold the river anyway! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clowntown seems difficult to extract from ... he seems to be marginally agressive, but really shuts down if you represent a real big hand.

I would probably just call here and let him fire again. I seem to remember him folding twice to my three bets ... by my memory might be off.

If you call, he'll probably just check/fold the river anyway! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Junk,

If you call the turn, what do you do if he bets a blank river? Diamond river?

KoW
Old 05-31-2006, 02:01 PM

I check the turn planning to get all of my chips in on the river. On any card.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:23 PM

I call turn and call any river here.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check the turn planning to get all of my chips in on the river. On any card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice that there were 3 diamonds on the board. I think this villian would take this line as a bluff here.

I would be cautious on the river if it's a fourth diamond ... but I'm still not sold that he has a flush.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:22 PM

If this guy is really passive postflop, this raise means he really likes his hand. What that means with a donk is that he's not going to fold. Shove, and get called. You're not folding here

Against a TAG i like to get fancy and just call. A solid TAG will push pretty much any river, and I'm paying off a flopped flush. You'll stack an ace high hand more by just calling and stack 2pair/sets anyways.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:33 AM

Default RESULTS

I push, he instacalls with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the flopped nuts.

Seems like most are advocating getting it in against this guy... thanks for the replies.

KoW
Old 06-01-2006, 11:01 AM

Call. Probably call any river bet not a diamond. He could very well be working on AdK or KdA, he could have KdQ. He could have already made his flush, but he knows you are aggro and that you could be betting Ad or Kd, so this could be a raise to price you for your river. This is what my read is for someone who is "neutral" preflop.

Against a "solid TAG," I don't know. Different solid tags are playing this hand differently here. I'd need to be in the hand, but I'm not sure my line would be all that different on the turn. On the river, if he bets out again, I'd consider folding more than against the donk.