Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 11:01 AM

Default Crappy service at bar...what\'s your line

(Cliff Notes at bottom, for the ADD afflicted.)

Last night, my friend and I went to one of my favorite hangouts. I'm probably considered a regular...I talk to the owner every time I see him, especially during football season. It was a typical after work crowd, busy but not slammed. Here's a recap of the action:

- I went to the bar to get drinks and darts. The dartboard is by the bar, so usually the bartender takes care of us. The bar girl (whom I've never seen before) didn't acknowledge me for about five minutes. Then she turned, said hi, and went about her business. Another three or four minutes, then she came over. I got the darts, then placed my drink order. Two drinks, very simple. She then went and did about ten other things, poured the drinks, let them sit there for another couple of minutes, then brought them to me. I paid with a $20, and she went to get a couple other paid checks to ring up before bringing me back my change. She apologized for being so slow...probably 'cause I was visibly irritated. Total time: 15 minutes.

Now most bartenders I see take care of one thing at a time. They take your drink order, go get your drinks, deliver them to you, take your payment, and bring your change. This girl was all over the place.

- My friend ordered another round...and basically got the same thing I did...think he only waited 10-12 minutes after waiting for her to come by.

- I ordered another round, and also ordered a burger with fries. The drinks came late again, probably 15 minutes this time. My friend suggested ordering two rounds at a time to make up for it. Not a bad suggestion in retrospect.

- Half an hour later, I asked her about my food order. She forgot to place it. We were finishing up a game, so I told her to skip it. She asked me if I wanted it to go, but we were almost done. She apologized, but made no offer of comping drinks or anything.

When we finished for the evening, we went over to give the darts back and settle up. She was apologizing to another patron for something...I can only guess what. Then she told us that she's made so many mistakes in the last hour and a half that the whole bar is probably pissed at her. I can see why.

CLIFF NOTES: At my regular bar. Bartender really slow with my drinks, forgot to place my food order, made no offer to comp anything. She wasn't rude and did apologize.

What's your line in this situation? Leave it alone and short her tip? Throw a s&%^ fit and demand to see the manager/ owner? Tell her to shape up, but don't involve management? Thoughts?

ScottieK
Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Crappy service at bar...what\'s your line

If you're a regular, and had never seen her before, she's certainly new to the job, and it sounds like new to the industry. Since she wasn't rude, I'd cut her a fair amount of slack, particularly if she was alone and it was pretty busy. I'd probably just let it go.

-McGee
Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 AM

If this chick ends up being the regular bartender and continues her crappy service I'd take it up with the manager/owner, but I wouldn't say anything after one night. Rather, I wouldn't give her a tip at all in this case.

Swede
Old 06-01-2006, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't give her a tip at all in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't tip her this first night, or you wouldn't tip her if the poor service continues on future occasions?

-McGee
Old 06-01-2006, 11:09 AM

kill [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2006, 11:10 AM

Scottie,

I'd go apeshit. How [censored] dare she have an off night. The dumb whorebag probably was too busy thinking about how good the barback looked in his ratty white t-shirt. I imagine I could get several punches, a headbutt and a heel stomp in before security could stop me.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:11 AM

It depends on how exactly how crappy the service was and how much it was getting under my skin at that particular night. Yes, she gets bonus points for (repeatedly) apologizing, but enough is enough. Based on OPs description of her being slow on several occasions and forgetting his food order I'd probably give her a 5% tip, but if I was feeling really annoyed I might not give her anything.

Swede
Old 06-01-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Scottie,

I'd go apeshit. How [censored] dare she have an off night. The dumb whorebag probably was too busy thinking about how good the barback looked in his ratty white t-shirt. I imagine I could get several punches, a headbutt and a heel stomp in before security could stop me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fight dirty when I'm starving. She's a small girl...I could probably take her.

ScottieK
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 AM

Scottie,

Seriously though, sometimes people just [censored] suck at what they do. They know it, everyone else knows it, but their management probably doesn't really care. As soon as they find someone better to replace her or she improves, that's the way it is.

Tip $5 or start going to a different bar.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:22 AM

If this is a bar you go to regularly, I'd actually have left a biggish tip. She will remember this. Idea being that you should benefit from improved service in your future visits. If the service still sucks next time you go, then you can adjust your tip proportionately.