Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 PM

Default What forms have the highest/lowest variance?

Please excuse me in advance if this has already been discussed to death in the past.

Of the mainstream forms of limit poker (hold em, stud hi, stud 8/ob, omaha 8/ob), which have the highest and lowest variance? Also, how do these stack up against NL games?

For example, if I have skill in each game at let's say, a 2/4 or 5/10 level online, that is proportional to the players at that level at which I would make 3 BB per 100 hands over the course of 50K hands....which games would have the largest and smallest swings along the way to that end result?

I ask mostly because I see the brutal swings that seem to happen in 7 card stud, but I don't have enough experience in other games to be able to personally compare.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:20 PM

Default Re: What forms have the highest/lowest variance?

Variance of a game is going to be strategy dependent of course, but I think your question boils down to "Which game has the most luck". I think you wrote them in the correct order low to high.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:04 AM

Default Re: What forms have the highest/lowest variance?

I play a tight-aggressive style. I find that omaha/8 has the lowest variance for me. But, just as important as your strategy, is game selection. If you play in jam-up holdem games, your variance can be huge, but if it's a tight game, and you play a TAG style, your variance can (should) be very minimal. As far as NL goes, your variance should surely be higher in any big-bet game as opposed to a limit game, IMO.
-md
www.myspace.com/iambabyd