Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 10:07 PM

Default 10/20 NL six handed

Hero is SB (2800)
Opponent is BB (covers)

Button raises to 60. Hero calls in SB. Oppon. Calls in BB.

(Pot 180) Flop 5c 6h 3s

Hero bets 175 BB calls

(Pot 530) Turn Kd

Hero bets 475 BB calls

(Pot 1480) River 4h – Looks like I have about 2k left.

Opponent is a top five shorthanded player on Party Poker - plays a LAG style. He has been playing more conservative than usual today. We were in a pot earlier where I doubled up vs. him when I had top and bottom pair against his bottom 2 pair. I’ve been playing pretty fast – I bluffed off a couple of buy-ins over the last 30 minutes, but most of this was on a different table than the opponent.

I’ll give a hypothetical hand range. I had one of these hands.

1. 20% Bluff – nothing on flop, turn, river
2. 20% Seven X (X = any card)
3. 10% Ace King
4. 20% 2 pair – top 2 or top and bottom on flop
5. 10% Overpair on flop – 88 to 1010
6. 20% Set – top or middle on flop

Plan or general suggestions on river for 1-6, assuming an excellent LAG opponent? One thing about his hand range – assume he could be calling with just about anything preflop.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:13 PM

Default Re: 10/20 NL six handed

before i try to give a genuine response (granted, i am not a 10/20 player), I just hope you read this and me saying "plz post more". nice thread.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:36 PM

I'd bet 1200 with 1) (not all the time obviously), 2) and 6) at least. I kind of think whether you have 63 or 65 matter a little bit in determining your twopair. With 65 I'd fire 1200 as well, whereas with 63 I'm not as inclined to do so since 64 is a very possible holding for him to cold call with like this, and I think we can eliminate K6, even though OP said "just about anything". Obviously this only happens a small portion of the time, but I still felt it should be mentioned.

I consider both 3) and 5) (more so) to be pretty much air here for most people, but perhaps for you, with your image, people are calling with just something like 88/99 on turn and your hand might be good, if he ever checks behind.

Both 3) and 5) are hard to play, since if you bet you are of course essentially bluffing and never betting for value, but if you check, how often is opponent gonna check behind here? Probably not too often, and you can never call since I can't see one hand that he would be bluffing with here that you beat, except the above mentioned 88/99 really.

I might be so far off in these suggestions it's not even funny, but at least I tried.

Either way, very good post Buddy, looking forward to see some answers!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:55 AM

Also, it is very important where the line (in hand strength) would be ev-wise where c/c:ing to induce bluffs becomes more profitable than betting for value in this spot against this opponent. More exactly, where would the line be where we would almost never be caught calling villains bluff only to find out he was bluffing with a better hand.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Both 3) and 5) are hard to play, since if you bet you are of course essentially bluffing and never betting for value, but if you check, how often is opponent gonna check behind here? Probably not too often,

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming this is the case I guess we should always be checking a 7.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:15 AM

I obviously didn't mean he would bet more than 50% of the time regardless of holding obviously, perhaps "not too often" was too harsh a word.

Rather I was weighting bluffing with a few more hands (e.g some of these of the time since they are air in all cases except where it goes check/check), compared to just checking in hopes of getting a check behind, which one of these routes would be best in terms of expected value, and what the optimal frequency between bluffing and checking with these hands would be (where bluffing with the middle pair should obviously be more tempting to do a bit more because your hand will hold up less on a c/c scenario versus villains HD obviously).
Old 05-24-2006, 01:19 AM

Buddy,

No offense, but you won't get responses to hands like this from me. I provide tons of advice on this forum regarding specific situations because I'm a very nice guy and don't really care about people trying to put my style together from a ton of different posts like that. However, I don't like the idea of discussing how I balance things across a certain set of made hands and bluffs, especially all nicely outlined in one specific scenario.

Anyway, I wanted to post because I think this is an excellent post and hope to see you continue posting here, but also wanted to let you know that I'm not ignoring posts like these, I'm specifically not responding to them.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buddy,

No offense, but you won't get responses to hands like this from me. I provide tons of advice on this forum regarding specific situations because I'm a very nice guy and don't really care about people trying to put my style together from a ton of different posts like that. However, I don't like the idea of discussing how I balance things across a certain set of made hands and bluffs, especially all nicely outlined in one specific scenario.

Anyway, I wanted to post because I think this is an excellent post and hope to see you continue posting here, but also wanted to let you know that I'm not ignoring posts like these, I'm specifically not responding to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with Diablo. This is like asking the party regulars(2+2 posters) to basically write a book about their playing styles.

p.s: Buddy, I am not accusing you of anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2006, 01:29 AM

Well, oops. I guess I didn't think so much far ahead as Diablo on this, lol. Anyway, I tried answering the questions based on what I know of b_buddys style (and his style taken into consideration when facing another player player a somewhat similiar game), and not out of my own point of view, which should hurt myself a little less, even though I'm quite sure Diablo is right in saying it's probably not that good of an idea to post an answer to this question since it's hard not to include your own style/mindset about these scenarios and only speak in general terms. I think it would have been way worse to actually type down some frequencies of each hand, e.g how often I'd bluff, how often I'd c/c and how often I'd c/f with each specific category of hands, and that's what I believe El D is specifially refraining from doing.

My answers were probably way off anyway, hurting peoples games more than they helped, I can't tell myself [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2006, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buddy,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of a dick thing to post.
I think you should have PM'd him that instead of posting this and discouraging everyone else.