Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 01:19 AM

Default what started the laraque/fedoruk fight?

I watched the oilers/ducks game on cbc, but I couldn't figure out what started the first fight of the game. Laraque and Thornton seemed to have their gloves off almost as soon as the puck dropped; what gives? I conjectured to my sister that perhaps an n-word was spoken, but maybe I just missed some off camera shoving. Anyone have a different feed or better attention span?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:26 AM

Default Re: what started the laraque/fedoruk fight?

I didn't see it, but you can bet it wasn't a racial slur. Guys have been suspended for that before - Vaclav Prospal and Chris Simon come to mind - missing a game of a playoff series for something that dumb, I don't even think Todd Fedoruk is that stupid.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 AM

Default Re: what started the laraque/fedoruk fight?

Why does a flower grow? Why does the wind blow? These are answers we do not know.

Seriously, they're both big guys, and known for fighting. Laraque hasn't seen much action since his misconduct from a few games ago; they're at home, and we might sweep the series. There's doesn't need to be a reason. Laraque has a bit of history with Fedoruk, but not much. I'd like to see if they fight in the next game, too.

[ QUOTE ]
"I enjoy fighting," Fedoruk said. "I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it. I enjoy doing it for my teammates. They get pumped. That's the main thing, if I can get the guys going. When you're trying to establish yourself as a fighter, it's kind of more for yourself. Now it's more for your teammates, to give them that extra lift."

Fedoruk, 26, recalled meeting Laraque once, during Fedoruk's rookie season with Philadelphia in 2000-01.

"I know all about him," Fedoruk said. "He's strong, very strong, a lefty who overpowers his opponents. He wants to play, but he'll still stick up for his teammates. He's not one who goes looking for it. Not a lot of fighters are anymore, but if a fight needs to happen, it happens."

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, here's a fun recap of some fights Laraque has been in.