Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 10:17 PM

Default Tilt Control: Any tips

Today I tilted. One hand 8 BB's. No reason to be in the hand. It was for play money. I was seething.

I knew it would happen, river bounce after river bounce keep on happening as I kept on dropping down in levels to make sure that I didn't cost myself financially while at the same time trying to maintain quality decision making skills. River losses 24 river wins 1.

I know bad beats come and this isn't the point of this thread. This is about emotions affecting me despite playing really good poker. (I actually won $12.67)

I walked away 3 times, did other things non poker etc., but this was the first time I played all day when my luck was bad and I am very disappointed in how I handled it.

(400 hands single table today is very long day for me I usually play 1 hour twice a day, but I started to play in MTT's for fun and those sessions are brutal)

So my question is how do you keep your emotions in check, your concentration up and your decision making abilities in tact as you feel yourself slowing slipping away because you can't distance yourself from past hands.

Normally I am the one who pounces on those type of people who lose control. Knowing better and doing better are two different things though.

Someone out there must have a mantra, a prayer, a vulcan mind meld technique they would be willing share which has helped them extend a session productively when things go bad.

And for that matter when things go good too.

Its totally ludicrious to lose 2 to 3 hours of hard work (using your avg win rate) on one stinking hand.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Tilt Control: Any tips

hi smurph,

if you find an easy solution pls let me know.

i will save you some trouble, however, in your process of elimination quest. party bj and party roulette are no-go. unsure about party craps, party slots, party bingo, and party backgammon.

helpfully,

john
Old 08-10-2006, 10:24 PM

Smurf... this is something that probably should be posted in Psychology. I think in terms of me... when adjusting to the TAG style... you get bored and then upset when your cards don't hold up when you do have them. At some point of your poker career, you're going to get used to it and start thinking about the long-term. This is something that you have to be aware of, but just know that the more hands you play, the less you'll start "caring." In the long run, AA being sucked out on once doesn't mean squat. Getting used to tilt takes a long time to get control of.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 PM

I wasn't sure about posting in Psych because it seemed a micro issue to me for some reason...ie new to Tag rather than generic I need to chat with Phil Hellmuth type stuff.

I mean its tough adjusting to a new style, trying to improve endurance and dealing with different betting pattern preparation.

Although talking about it, it seems I probably am biting off too much at once and should just work on TAG first and skip the endurance issues?

Ironically, I tilted away UB points which I was going to use to purchase Zen and the Art of Poker.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 PM

one day i punched a hole in the wall after a series of suckouts. as i was patching the hole up, i realised what a d!ckhead i was for doing that and that it is only a game. thats all there is to it. dont think of it as a game with money, it is just a game.

cricket players use $400 bats, but they dont get scared when facing a 160kph delivery because they dont want to damage their bat. they know that their bat has been specially built deal with that kind of use. they have trained to handle that sort of delivery. their bat is a tool of their game. we train, like cricketers, until our tools are strong enough to handle hard use. chips are the tool of our game, dont be afraid that they will get hurt. sometimes bats break, sometimes you loose chips. but as long as you use them correctly, you can win the game. you might break a few chips this game, but next game you will score a century.

i feel like i have awsome tilt controll these days. i can smile when i see a $300 pot getting shipped to the guy who called my PF cap, showing something like K6 for runner-runner two pair.

really bring out my patriotic side now.. but also watching/reading some of joe hachem's interviews over WSOP was good too. he has a very level-headed, calm approach to the game. he looks like a guy who just enjoys playing poker.

im sure baseball bats and AFL head-gear is expensive too. so feel free to substitude them for cricket bats [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2006, 11:06 PM

LOL CRICKETAMENT
Old 08-10-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one day i punched a hole in the wall after a series of suckouts. as i was patching the hole up, i realised what a d!ckhead i was for doing that and that it is only a game. thats all there is to it. dont think of it as a game with money, it is just a game.

cricket players use $400 bats, but they dont get scared when facing a 160kph delivery because they dont want to damage their bat. they know that their bat has been specially built deal with that kind of use. they have trained to handle that sort of delivery. their bat is a tool of their game. we train, like cricketers, until our tools are strong enough to handle hard use. chips are the tool of our game, dont be afraid that they will get hurt. sometimes bats break, sometimes you loose chips. but as long as you use them correctly, you can win the game. you might break a few chips this game, but next game you will score a century.

i feel like i have awsome tilt controll these days. i can smile when i see a $300 pot getting shipped to the guy who called my PF cap, showing something like K6 for runner-runner two pair.

really bring out my patriotic side now.. but also watching/reading some of joe hachem's interviews over WSOP was good too. he has a very level-headed, calm approach to the game. he looks like a guy who just enjoys playing poker.

im sure baseball bats and AFL head-gear is expensive too. so feel free to substitude them for cricket bats [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, Ive heard people say "think of this as a game", nothing more then a chess match. This anology, is 10x better though, really puts things into perspective. The money for bats really made sense. I honestly will think of this post when I go on tilt. Its added to my bookmark btw. Excellent reply.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:33 AM

"Zen and The Art Of Poker" - by Larry Phillips helped me a lot. I here "The Tao of Poker" is also good. Zen is a pretty cheap small book and it has payed for itself in focus.

But that does not fix it fully.

It takes time as Str8fish mentioned.

Don't take it out on cats, friends, or children.

I don't think there's a full solution just think Sklansky bucks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2006, 12:41 AM

.2/.4 donking
Old 08-11-2006, 12:53 AM

Move up and chase your losses.