Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2006, 06:52 AM

Default $600 blind battle - He pushes - But I have a set !!

Here’s an interesting hand from last night I think I fcked up.

I am SB, $590, BB covers. I have 700 hands on him & he is about 41/11/2. Likes to limp in with all sorts of stuff, but seems passive / straightforward post-flop.

Folded to me in SB with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I raise to 22. He calls.

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I lead for 30. He raises to 90. At this stage I put him on a decent Q, possibly top 2. There is a possibility he has a big draw, but with an open-ended without clubs or just a club draw my read is that he’s flat calling rather than raising. He will only continue with QJ or a monster draw if I re-raise. Anyway, against anyone with an ounce more aggression I re-raise here but in this case I think he has a TPGK type hand so I decide to flat call and try to get a couple of half-pot value bets in on turn & river.

But the turn is the worst card in the deck, the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Now I don’t know where I am or what to do. I didn’t think he’d raise either clubs or KT, but I can’t be absolutely certain, so I may already be behind. If I’m still ahead that card must have scared him. Anyway I don’t know what to do here so I check & decide I will try to get a better view of whether to CRAI or just flat call from his bet size & timing. In retrospect this line is retarded as with this guy the hands that can outdraw me are probably all taking the free card. Though if it’s a blank I can get a river bet called probably given how I played it so far. Anyway I think betting is clearly better here.

But I check and villain thinks for a few seconds and then moves in for $480 more into a pot of $224. WTF?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

So what range do you put him on now? Is this an easy fold or is it close?
Also is re-raising the flop clearly better or is there any merit to my flop line?
Lastly I think my turn check is bad, so how much do you bet & why?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:02 AM

Default Re: $600 blind battle - He pushes - But I have a set !!

against a 41/11 I 3-bet this all day, there are a cazillion 'worse cards' that kill your action.

given action, I think you have to fold
Old 05-19-2006, 07:13 AM

3-bet the flop.

as played I would call turn and usually lose
Old 05-19-2006, 07:20 AM

raise flop, now you're scr00d and should fold