Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 02:26 PM

Default Ok, here goes...Atlantis Trip Report: Day 1

So for those who don't know me, I'm Steve Paul-Ambrose. I'm 22, go to University in Ontario, played poker for about 2 years and I just won the PCA in the Bahamas.

Alright, so I plan on making a post for each day. Luckily I was keeping track of all my interesting hands to show some family and friends who play. Day 1 and 2 are pretty complete. Day 3 was super exhausting so I don't have a whole lot and I'll just post some of the interesting final table hands for that. This is all basically copy/pasted from my blog.

Day 1: Not a great day...

Well, I started out at the main event today. There ended up being 720 people between the two days, 10,000 starting chips and 25/50 blinds. I'll just put the interesting hands by level.

Level 1 25/50
Only pro at my table is Bill Gazes, not very well known and he's directly to my right.

Hand 1 of the tournament there are two callers for 50 and I make it 300 with QQ. I'm basically having a heart attack...Everyone folds and maybe I'm the chip leader of those playing today(?)

Absolutely nothing else this level. I only play one other hand, KQ, and check-fold the flop.

Level 2 50/100 - I start with about 9800 chips

Hand 1 of the level, tight player raises first to act to 300. 1 caller (who is not good) and I call from the small blind with TT. Flop is 963r and I check. Raiser bets 600, caller folds and I call. Turn's a 7, I check and he quickly bets 1200. I think and fold, he shows KK. I pat myself on the back.

That's about it this level, couple small losses and I'm down around 8500.

Level 3. 100/200

Gazes limps for 200, I make it 800 with AK and Gazes calls. Flop is J87, 2 hearts (I have no heart). He checks, I bet 1000 and he calls. Turn's another heart and he goes all-in for 2000. I fold and he shows 9h9.

Gazes limps again and I make it 1000 with AcKc. Tight guy beside me considers reraising but just calls. Gazes folds. Flop is 8x5c3c. I check, tight guy bets 1700, I push for ~6500 and he folds. I don't like continuation betting here because he probably has QQ-TT or something and will call/raise. If he raises, he can't fold to my all-in.

Aggressive guy raises early to 500. Terribly guy calls. I have JJ and just call. Flop is 864 with 2 clubs and aggressive guy bets 600. Terrible guy folds and I call. Turn's an offsuit T and he checks. I check behind (hoping he'll bluff the river, not wanting to get check-raised). River's the jack of clubs and he bets 1000. I considered raising but I don't think he calls much unless I'm beat so I call. He shows 8d6d for two pair. Guess I should have raised...

Five limpers and I call in the sb with A6o. Flop is AJ5r. Checked around. Turn's a T and I bet 600. Two tightish players call. River's a 7. I check, one guy checks, other bets 1000. JT is about the only hand I can see him having that I lose to. Could have missed a straight draw or backdoor flush draw. I call. He says nice call, shows Q9. I'm now up to 18000.

Folded to the cutoff who limps (he's limped a few times before but is pretty solid). Button limps, I make it 1000 with QQ. Cutoff now makes it 3000 with another 10k behind. I think forever and call. Flop is AT2, check check. Turn's a T, check check. River's a 2, check, he bets 2000. I'm pretty sure he's begging for a call so I fold.

That's about it for that level, I end up with just under 15000.

Level 4 - 100/200 - 25 ante

Basically nothing, I have KK once but don't make much, end up with just under 15000.

Level 5 - 150/300 - 50 ante

Again, just nothing. I have a steal go wrong and am down around 12500 at the dinner break. I really need to make a move in the next level.

Level 6 - 200/400 - 75 ante

Absolutely no cards. I raise from the cutoff once with K9 and get reraised. Table's super aggressive and I can't do anything. I don't win a pot the entire level. Not what I needed at all.

I finish up the day with 7400, going to be in desperate shape tomorrow with blinds at 300/600 with a 100 ante.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how I played, I just didn't pick up any hands. Table was reasonably solid too which was too bad and the only 3 bad players were out by level 4. Anyways, that's it for today.

Afterthought: I'm now thinking I played way too weak-tight on Day 1. Especially the last level, I needed to make some kind of move. I'm pretty sure I just really wanted to make day 2.

Feel free to comment/ask questions about hands, I definitely may have misplayed a couple of these. Also, if it's better to post everything in one post, let me know and I'll do that.

Steve
Old 01-12-2006, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Ok, here goes...Atlantis Trip Report: Day 1

nice report steve and congratulations.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the report and congrats!! Nice to see a 'hoser' take that one down!
Old 01-12-2006, 03:37 PM

Look forward to hearing more.

Congratulations!!!

Didn't know you were a fellow Candian either...awesome!

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 01-12-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is all basically copy/pasted from my blog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's your blog?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:11 PM

Yea linkage to the blog [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Btw, let me congrat you on the win. Sweet done.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:13 PM

It's always fun to read tourney reports for big money, thanks for taking to time and effort to put this up. It looks like you played very well, a couple of hands I'd like to start a discussion on.

[ QUOTE ]
Aggressive guy raises early to 500. Terribly guy calls. I have JJ and just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like your JJ could easily be the best hand here, and given the call/fold by the bad player and the hand shown down by the agressive palyer, I think a reraise preflop takes this pot down pretty often. Thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Folded to the cutoff who limps (he's limped a few times before but is pretty solid). Button limps, I make it 1000 with QQ. Cutoff now makes it 3000 with another 10k behind. I think forever and call. Flop is AT2, check check. Turn's a T, check check. River's a 2, check, he bets 2000. I'm pretty sure he's begging for a call so I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a very interesting hand to me. Preflop action from CO makes me very uncomfortable, especially given awkward stack sizes. What's your plan on the flop? Are you intending to get it allin on an undercard board? And if not, what line lets you get away from this hand? I can see a case made for just pushing preflop, or for folding given that a tight player (you) raising out of the blinds usually indicates strength, and this 'solid' CO player is now raising you. I don't know, I can't find a play I'm comfortable with here. Anyone have a good plan?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:14 PM

You're just posting this because you want to win that free t-shirt in the forum contest that just started. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Congrats!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:50 PM

Great Job Steve. Congratulations!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:01 PM

Congrats on the win bro!