Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Two ideas from the eagerly anticipated book

why at the end of the excerpts of the book "no limit theory and practice", do the authors claim that the opposite is true with shorter stacks: that is, you should be more willing to bet with a draw to the nuts?

thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Two ideas from the eagerly anticipated book

Going all in on the flop may be desirable, since you will be guaranteed to see both the turn and river. Plus, you may pick up the pot right on the flop.

However, if the bet is not all-in, I don't see the benefits.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:49 PM

As I understand it, the goal of checking with a nut draw is to make an immediate sacrifice (letting a +EV situation pass by), in the hopes of hitting your card and taking your opponent's whole stack. When those stacks are deep, this is an extremely attractive concept. But when the stacks are short, sacrificing immediate +EV in order to "stack" your opponent doesn't make much sense.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why at the end of the excerpts of the book "no limit theory and practice", do the authors claim that the opposite is true with shorter stacks: that is, you should be more willing to bet with a draw to the nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mainly because you can't be forced to fold.

Example: I have AQo on a KJ3 rainbow flop. I raised preflop and you called in the BB. If I have chips behind me a c/r may force me to fold. On the other hand if I bet all-in, I get the fold equity of betting, and if my perfect card comes on a later street I will still be around to catch it.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Example: I have AQo on a KJ3 rainbow flop. I raised preflop and you called in the BB. If I have chips behind me a c/r may force me to fold. On the other hand if I bet all-in, I get the fold equity of betting, and if my perfect card comes on a later street I will still be around to catch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you have a short stack, I think you shouldn't be inclined to push a draw to the nuts if it's not a very good draw (gutshot). I guess it depends on the pot. But if the pot is too big, your opponent will call. If it's too small, you may no steal it often enough to be +EV.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:11 AM

Well, the gutshot isn't the only reason to bet there. And you wouldn't necessarily check even with money behind you. But the point is that with deep stacks it's an argument in favor of checking but if you're all-in it's an argument in favor of betting.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:17 PM

Your "later advantage" is proportional to stack sizes. In a deep game your later advantage is huge with the nut draw. If the stacks are short you lose a ton of this later advantage. With this later advantage missing playing the turn and river will be less important. So taking the pot now becomes a more appealing option.

*later advantage ~ implied odds