Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 AM

Default 3/6 stud/8 raise out the better high on 7th?

In a moment of clarity I thought I could get the better high hand to fold on the end, since it seemed like the bettor made a low. Is this a good play, standard, crazy? I thought there was some chance I hit the best low and if I could get the open pair of 6s to fold maybe scoop? What about my 4th and 5th street plays, I almost raised 4th.

Thanks,
DeathDonkey

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.50 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.75 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (5.75 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (8.75 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (12.75 BB)
Old 05-01-2006, 11:07 AM

Default Re: 3/6 stud/8 raise out the better high on 7th?

3rd is fine. People will respond and tell you you should have raised but calling here is just fine. I think people on this forum complete too much on 3rd...

I would raise 4th however. You most likely have the best low draw so I would want to charge the hands behind me to see 5th.

5th and 6th are fine.

7th is a somewhat rare situation in stud8. I think in my 2 years playing this game I have scooped a pot exactly one time making this play! I have seen it work many a time and it must feel great if you scooped, which I think you may have an a good chance of doing on this hand. Unless the other guy with the low board improved he probably has a 8-low so I would be pretty confident raising this river to try and knock out the 6s and hopefully scoop. Good play.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:01 PM

Fourth is a must raise IMO. The sixes could very likely just have sixes. Even if he has trips, you still have enough equity in this pot to raise. You are almost certain to have the best low draw. If people want to outdraw you then charge them to do so.

Fifth and Sixth seem fairly standard.

I like your river play here. Seat 4 will have a hard time calling two bets here with alot of hands that beat you I think. Also the fact that Seat 8 doesnt have a very threatening board makes this play alot more effective in my opinion. You really dont want to get reraised, but I dont think that will happen very often in this spot.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3rd is fine. People will respond and tell you you should have raised but calling here is just fine. I think people on this forum complete too much on 3rd...

[/ QUOTE ]
You complete 3rd because if you only complete when you have split aces you become ridiculously easy to read.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You complete 3rd because if you only complete when you have split aces you become ridiculously easy to read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont mind just limping here as there is an ace behind you and alot of your cards are dead. I don't think completing here is wrong though.

You are right though, you have to complete sometimes without split aces.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said always limp, I just said I dont mind it sometimes. If I remember the OP, there were a lot of other low cards out.

Also, there are definitly occasions where I limp in with split aces. Even if I have an Ace in the door and a baby to go with it.

Lastly, having spent all of March playing the 3-6 and the 5-10 on PP I couldnt care less if that pool of players has a 'read' on me as they just seemed to pay off anyways...
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2006, 01:16 AM

Consider raising on third. I'll usually raise third, but that's my style. I think your draw is too strong not to raise fourth. I think fifth is well worth a bet. Sixth is an obvious call. Definitely raise the river. I think there's a good chance that you have the best low hand. Even if you don't, you are correct that raising may save half the pot for you, so I think it's well worth the extra investment. Whether or not it worked out, I think it was the right play.