Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 AM

Default I butcher a set of jacks on a draw-heavy board

ABS 5/10 6 handed.

Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop

Two folds, CO limps, Button raises, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9SB)

Hero???

Reads: CO is 70/20 over about 25 hands, but has just sat down this session. No personal memory of playing him, so no real reads on postflop aggression. Button is like 30/8. I read his failure to cap as meaning two big cards or a smaller pair rather than QQ-AA.

What's my plan for maximizing value while protecting against potential straight/ flush draws?

1) Bet out
2) Check, intending to raise bet from CO
3) Check, intending to raise bet from Button
4) Check, intending to raise any bet
Old 05-01-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Re: I butcher a set of jacks on a draw-heavy board

I'm not sure you can count on someone else betting and a check around would be terrible. So I would bet out.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:27 PM

Bet. The only question is what happens if raised, which without reads I 3 bet. Draw heavy board, I do not want to risk a gutshot (AT) or a flush taking a free card so I want to keep the lead. I would then lead the turn.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:31 PM

I would bet and if raised i would 3 bet. If you check a lot of drawing hands will check behind and i would hate to give a free card here.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM

I am betting the flop and then betting the turn if its a blank or reevaluating if its a scare card.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Two folds, CO limps, Button raises, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, CO calls, Button calls.
Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9SB)
Hero???

[/ QUOTE ]
Bet
[ QUOTE ]
What's my plan for maximizing value while protecting against potential straight/ flush draws?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't count on anyone else betting so you have to bet. You can't protect but it's better than giving a free card.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:49 PM

Well, like I said, I butchered this one. Probably shouldn't be playing past midnight. The consensus seems to be bet the flop. How about the turn after I do this instead?

Hero checks, CO checks, button bets, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, button folds, hero calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8 BB)
Hero bets, CO raises.

Ugly turn. Should I bet/ call down like I did, or just go into call down mode immediately?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am betting the flop and then betting the turn if its a blank or reevaluating if its a scare card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no

If it's a scare card, you bet, and then get raised, and call down.

If the turn is a T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], so what, bet/call, c/c UI

As for the flop, just bet out. I don't even understand why this is so hard. You flop top set against monkeys that will never fold a pair or A-high, just bet and hope they raise.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:57 PM

I don't get not capping the flop but then leading the turn when one of the worst cards for you hits. I think the only reason for not capping the flop is if you want to re-evaluate on the turn before putting in more money. If that's the reason then I don't think you lead on this turn.

That being said, I personally would cap the flop and lead the turn.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, like I said, I butchered this one. Probably shouldn't be playing past midnight. The consensus seems to be bet the flop. How about the turn after I do this instead?

Hero checks, CO checks, button bets, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, button folds, hero calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8 BB)
Hero bets, CO raises.

Ugly turn. Should I bet/ call down like I did, or just go into call down mode immediately?

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy just check 3bet everyone on the flop, with that info, I'm thinking my JJ is going to be winning here more than losing. I am 3-betting this guy, calling a cap, and c/c the river UI.

Sure he might have a flush draw, but he could also have 77, 88, K8, K7, Pair of K with a single club.

Sure you might be behind, but when you are, you have 10 outs.

Also, cap the flop. if you capped the flop, then bet that turn, and got raised, I'd call down from there. Why didn't you cap the flop?