Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Can I call down one-time?!

Villain is about 30/12, AF>1 on turn and river. Over the past 5 hands we played HU, he popped me on the turn 70% of the time (I folded usually). I have a feeling he could be popping me on the turn (and even river) since he's seen me fold. I've checked the turn and bet the river and he's popped me on the river too...

He cold calls raises more often than I think one should...

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

Standard with 5 players I think.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6.33SB, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds.

Standard?

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4.17BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Villain pops me again. Did he cold call with a monster preflop? He prob has an ace, I think AK would have 3 balled me preflop. Since he likes cold calling he could have A5-AQ.

Can I call down here?

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8.17BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 10.17BB

Thanks - I need to deal with these turn raises...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Can I call down one-time?!

routine calldown for me given your read. lots of draw/semibluff possibilities on the turn and your kicker isn't terrible.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:41 PM

Call down. You have a show down worthy hand and villain has shown a tendency to raise you. Whether he's doing it with air or the goods, you have to put an end to it by showing you won't always be pushed around.

It really sounds like you answered your own question. Against most players I'd call this one down, but given the previous action it's even more important to see this to showdown.

I don't like raising A9o UTG five handed either; I limit myself to ATo+/A8s+, especially if I'm at a table where I expect a couple calls behind me. Also, try to get dealt some hands where you can b/3b the turn. It will really help your karma against this player.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 PM

Yeah thats what I thought - just needed confirmation I wasn't spewing.

Villain showed ATo, MHING. With medium to fairly good hands against this villain, am I check calling more often on the big streets then?

And about preflop, aren't we almost open raising everytime w/ A9o 5 handed? (equivalent of hijack position)

Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah thats what I thought - just needed confirmation I wasn't spewing.

Villain showed ATo, MHING. With medium to fairly good hands against this villain, am I check calling more often on the big streets then?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I like this. It offers villain a lot of free cards and could have you giving up on hands too early as well as not extracting the most value. I would look for more situations to bet/3-bet, as I said before.

[ QUOTE ]
And about preflop, aren't we almost open raising everytime w/ A9o 5 handed? (equivalent of hijack position)

[/ QUOTE ]
I gave my opinion. Maybe others open it here, but I really don't see the value in it. Fwiw my preflop stats are like 27/19. I'd be more inclined to raise it after a 50/5/0.5 player had limped in front than to open the pot.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:48 PM

I think ATo is my cutoff for a raise there, but I've heard others say I should be raising more in shorthanded play. Definitely depends on players too.