Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Default Is this game + EV?

I already posted this hand on another site and got an answer that my opponent actually made a +EV move because he had fold equity. I have a solid image, winning all my showdowns and not chip leader because of a suck out earlier.
The vilain is a loose player (no stats on bodog) and I already taken some pots from him.
SNG 3.30$, 3 players remaining. 75/150
BB 7000 and sth
SB 3000 and sth
BTN (hero) 4000 and sth

hero: ??
SB: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

hero: raise 450t
SB: call
BB: Fold

Flop:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

hero bets: 750t
SB raise all in.

In view of the level of the tournament, my table image, my FE and other variants (tell me which), is this shove +EV?
My opinion is that it is a revenge shove on me without any value. To make it short I think this is a total donk move but...
Old 08-03-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Is this game + EV?

[ QUOTE ]

My opinion is that it is a revenge shove on me without any value. To make it short I think this is a total donk move but...

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't tell that. Even if it is true, you don't have a hand to call him. If you lose (and I think you will most of the time) you are in a very bad position.
The preflop raise was fine, but it didn't work out so go on and play poker, don't get involved in "meta games"... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2007, 09:32 AM

yes, I know at these limits there is no meta thinking, and this thread is somewhat pointless given that it is only 3$ but I had AT [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and took a 90/10 beat to a runner runner str8, and I was just wondering what was thinking this player while making this shove. But once again, it is clear that I have better to do than discovering what was the reason for such a shove.

By the way the T on the flop was a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 AM

Ooops, sorry I misread your post, I thought you had the A8... With AT and your read I probably make that call too, but I'm def. not worried about his reasoning or runner-runner suck out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] nh.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a solid image, winning all my showdowns and not chip leader because of a suck out earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have a table image at low buyins. Changing your play based upon a supposed table image is overthinking and probably -EV.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 AM

This thread is total nonsense.

450+450+150 preflop makes the pot 1050 on the flop. 1050+750+750 makes the pot 2550 after he calls your bet, and he only has 1800 behind - less than a pot sized raise. Very very standard.

So:

-We have a weak A and our raise got called preflop
-We decided to bluff off a load of chips on the flop
-He checkraises AI because he doesn't have enough chips to do anything much else and - presumably - he likes his hand enough to do so
-We don't know what he had, but it was obviously a stupid donk spite move because a tight player raising the button in a 3-handed game always has AA and villain couldn't possibly have hit so much as a pair let alone a set on this board, right?

Frankly you should be thanking the guy for saving the rest of your stack for you, rather than smooth calling and letting you bluff off the rest.

Am I missing something important here?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM

Dude he probably called u with a pair, he read your cbet and he shove...and u are complaining that his shove is EV-?
Just check that flop!!!
And please mod lock this thread.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a solid image, winning all my showdowns and not chip leader because of a suck out earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have a table image at low buyins. Changing your play based upon a supposed table image is overthinking and probably -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto for expecting your opponents to play well (and LOL at wanting them to). It's your job to work out how they play and how to exploit it. Don't take advice from the 109s on this forum and apply it to 3.30s - understand the advice and work out how to apply it in the games you play.

You don't say what hand this spite raise was with - I'm not sure you even know - but if he bluff checkraises often and lightly, it is your job to know how strong your hand needs to be to call him when he does it - not berate him because he did it when you couldn't call.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 AM

OK thanks for the feedback.
Between the guys that misread the position and the guys that misread who I was , I got nothing relevant actually.
The only guy who has all right is Luisgallo, check flop and lock this thread.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so............ you lost at least one showdown