Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Dateline Child Predator Show

I was watching this show tonight, and I'd like to know how a TV crew is permitted to get in the middle of a sting operation on child predators? They are not guilty yet, so what justifies there faces being plastered on TV?? Are they signing releases or something?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Dateline Child Predator Show

I have no idea, but is this a weekly thing now? Predators every Friday night?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea, but is this a weekly thing now? Predators every Friday night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure - this was the first I saw it - I think on USA Network. Odds are, I won't see it again.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:48 PM

I love that show.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:49 PM

what i don't get is how many people seem to love this show and think NBC is awesome for doing such a great public service.

i think its the most sick and disgusting premise for a show. and i think it should be an illegal means of bringing predators to 'justice'. i will probably get flamed for this thread since i haven't had anyone in real life not think it was disturbing of me to take such a contarian view.

showing the people on tv seems cruel and unusual to me. it reminds me of cases where judges have ruled that sex offenders must put up sign on their front lawn stating that the person residing at that address is a sex offender which i think is horrible.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:57 PM

looks like almostbusto needs a title change, mods...
Old 10-21-2006, 12:07 AM

I think it is allowed because the authorities only have so much in their budget to go after criminals. NBC says we will do all the work, all you have to do is show up and arrest them. It is certainly not cruel or unusual punishment because it is not punishment at all. The only question about it is the ethics of exploiting the whole thing, which I think is sketchy.

Did anyone catch the opening to that awards show where the host, I think it was Conan, passed through all the tv shows doing a bit in each one, and he walks into a house and the dateline guy is there. Now that was hysterical.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:09 AM

Public humiliation is one of the oldest forms of punishment.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:09 AM

Perhaps people who don't want to be known as child predators should refrain from preying on children. Personally I think the safety of the children in the neighborhood should come before some child rapists privacy..
Old 10-21-2006, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is allowed because the authorities only have so much in their budget to go after criminals. NBC says we will do all the work, all you have to do is show up and arrest them. It is certainly not cruel or unusual punishment because it is not punishment at all. The only question about it is the ethics of exploiting the whole thing, which I think is sketchy.

Did anyone catch the opening to that awards show where the host, I think it was Conan, passed through all the tv shows doing a bit in each one, and he walks into a house and the dateline guy is there. Now that was hysterical.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its cruel and unusual to be put through that kind of humilation in public. but the government isn't perscribing that punishment, its a biproduct of NBC taping the sting so its not illegal under the constitution or anything. i wasn't trying to say it should be illegal for NBC to tape, just that i think its unethical which you seem to sympathize with to some extent.

I like KKF or someone once made the point that it doesn't make sense for the people caught to be charged with soliciting sex from a minor when in reality they never speak with a minor. the actual charge should be conspiracy to solicit or something right? but if i remember correctly the people caught in these things get charged with soliciting. i could be wrong about that though and i don't have any kind of a law background so i am probably way off. maybe some oot lawyers could weigh in.