Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Fun w/ A5s

Bellagio 30-60. BB and limper are both very loose, passive, and bad. SB tries his best to be a good player but isn't. He isn't terrible postflop, but he slowplays and bluffs in ways that seem obvious to me.

Preflop:
EP limps, folded to The Dude who raises in the CO w/ A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Button folds, SB and BB call, limper calls.

Flop: (8 SBs) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 Players)</font>
Checked to The Dude who bets, SB calls, BB folds, limper calls.

Turn: (5.5 BBs) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 Players)</font>
Checked to The Dude who bets, SB raises, limper folds. The Dude decides calling down is best.

River: (9.5 BBs) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 Players)</font>
SB bets. The Dude considers folding now, but ends up calling.

Comments?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Fun w/ A5s

I fold the river. Other than that it seems fairly standard.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:10 PM

I can't call on the river unless you've seen the SB CR bluff this turn before. You're never good here.

I like the preflop ISO raise, I like both the flop and turn bets since these seems like the type of players who will peel two random high cards on the flop then fold the turn.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:10 PM

I'm checking the turn and playing poker on the river.
As played, I fold the river, or 3 bet the turn. If sb is really trying to play well, he is obv isolating with a hand he isn't sure is good. When you 3 bet his turn CR he will *know* he is drawing to 2 outs, and fold very very often. He rarely has a six here, given his pf coldcall. Also, I'm largely discounting a set, since he should be leading one of the streets to go for a 3 bet, instead of iso-raising fourth street.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Other than that? That's a pretty big "other," since there's $630 in the pot when The Dude made his river decision.

The Dude says this guys bluffs are "obvious" to him, so our judgment on what the guy is doing can't be as accurate as his. I'd almost prefer a river raise than a call down just in case the guy's got a littlt bit of something, and considering that the guy is trying to play good (which, in Vegas, often means making a "good" laydown), but I guess The Dude is putting him on a flush draw.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:40 PM

I'd just check the turn. I don't think that a bet will pick it up enough to compensate for the times that you have to pay 2 bets to draw to your many outs. The six pairing seems like it is going to encourage calls from the other two players.

If you think that A-high no kicker is going to win often enough to call the river, then that's all the more reason to just check the turn, since you'll sometimes win UI. Otherwise, I agree with Andy that you should pop the river in case he's got something like A8 (assuming you trust your read - I'd usually just fold).
Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you think that A-high no kicker is going to win often enough to call the river, then that's all the more reason to just check the turn, since you'll sometimes win UI. Otherwise, I agree with Andy that you should pop the river in case he's got something like A8 (assuming you trust your read - I'd usually just fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate popping this river. A8 shouldn't be too much of his sb defending range. The "just in case" play is so spewy in general. Unless the pot is ginormous, I think it's basically always wrong to resteal with a bluffcatcher hand. Also, raising on a blankish river will look so fishy that he will look you up with 99 or whatever soooooo often.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just check the turn. I don't think that a bet will pick it up enough to compensate for the times that you have to pay 2 bets to draw to your many outs. The six pairing seems like it is going to encourage calls from the other two players.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think people saying to check the turn are being a bit results oriented. aside from having a huge draw, the dude is going to have the best hand on the turn a significant amount of the time.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:42 PM

if you have a read then you have a read.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:10 PM

A "trying to play good" SB coldcalling range with a limper is probably stuff like pocket pairs JJ-22, suited broadways, maybe some jazz like T9s/98s or KQo. Many of these could be checkraising the turn (two nonspade overs would be ballsy), but the spade draws are less likely since Dude has two shovels himself.

The 10 is kinda bad against this range as the only hands you're beating now are the discounted KQo, KsQs KsJs, and QsJs. A river fold would be standard on paper but "you were there" and A-High needs to be good only 10% of the time. So if you can expand his coldcalling pre + cr turn range to include more pure garbage/bluffs, then yah, huck in the call.