Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 02:44 PM

Default 3 types of players

This came up while coaching at NL but I think it applies to SSSH even more than at SHNL.

There are 3-types of players:

1) Ones you should never "fear".

Example: You have AK and raise pf. This guy calls. The flop is KQ2. You bet, he calls. Turn is a Q, you bet he raises. You should never be afraid to fold against this guy because he will not raise without at least a queen.

Simple PT stat I use to identify: W$SD when raise turn.

2) Players you should "fear".

Same example but this guy could have J9, T9, AT, etc. A lot of times you are actually ahead on this turn because this is the type of guy who will raise any pair on the flop. Fearing the queen is irrational but so is 3-betting because you are letting him fold his bluff and paying him off when he actually has it.

3) Ones that know how to play.

Some people know how to mix it up, unfortunatly. Some pick good semi bluff spots, will exploit your c-bet %, and can actually read hands. Fortunatly, it's pretty easy to only have 1 of these guys at the table at most.

There are a lot more 1's and 2's than 3's out there. So the games are good. But i would say the order goes 2 - 1 - 3.

This is just an opinion and I'd like to hear what some of you have to say about it. I'm the worst ever at these posts so just ignore it if you don't like me. Plus it's quiet at work.

edit: the example i posted i horrible. Think of it more like involving ace hi call downs.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: 3 types of players

""2) Players you should "fear".

Same example but this guy could have J9, T9, AT, etc. A lot of times you are actually ahead on this turn because this is the type of guy who will raise any pair on the flop. Fearing the queen is irrational but so is 3-betting because you are letting him fold his bluff and paying him off when he actually has it.""

i will never fear these types of players. if they wanna raise BB with a gutshot and 1 or no overs so be it, come to daddy!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:54 PM

"fear" in quotes means like you should be aware you may have the best hand, and be afraid of folding the best hand. I used the term because somebody min-raised my student and he said "but what if I'm folding the best hand?"
Old 12-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Interesting post Danza

[ QUOTE ]
Simple PT stat I use to identify: W$SD when raise turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What ranges of this stat indicates a "1", a "2" and a "3" player?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:01 PM

I'd be FOS if I told you i had specific ranges. The stat takes a while to converge. A lot of times it's 0 or 100, or 87 or 13.