Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 11:42 AM

Default FTP 50/50 ITM spot

Villian hasn't done anything super out of line, although I really haven't seen him show down hands. He's only raised PF and gotten all folds, or folded the flop himself. He's tried to open raise my BB like 2 times in 30 hands, and has opened in LP a fair amount.

We are ITM with something like 110 left, and 153 get paid.

I'm just not sure how to play this hand. I thought about just pushing the flop. I also knew the c-bet was coming, and really put his range as fairly close to any two. I thought I would float his c-bet and go from there, and I was really sure my A is good here.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t250/t500
(Ante: t50)
8 players

Hero has 21.5k
Villian has 35k

Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is CO with :a[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] :8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to t1500</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls t1500 (pot was t2650)</font>, 3 folds.

Flop: :3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] :k[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] :5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t4150, 2 players)
UTG+1 bets t3000</font>, Hero calls t3000 (pot was t7150)</font>.

Turn: :9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t10150, 2 players)
UTG+1 bets t5500</font>, Hero calls t5500 (pot was t15650)</font>.

River: :2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t21150, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero is all-in t11450</font>,
Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: FTP 50/50 ITM spot

I think probly push over his flop.

you've got a load of FE and plenty of outs if called, calling just puts you in a tough position later in the hand if you don't hit.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM

I fold preflop. I highly doubt he opens a worse ace from UTG+1.

I am fine with pushing this flop, although I prefer to raise smaller, since I dont think a flopped flush pushes behind a raise. So I think a small raise back more accurately reps the hand we want to rep, and we certainly have outs if not. *edit* now that I think about this a bit, a push here could certainly rep AKo, which is just fine for a play as well. I wonder which folds out more hands tho, a smaller re-raise or a push.

Not sure why you would call the turn other than to bluff, which is fine, but, if your point is that you think your ace is good here, then why are we setting up a bluff? I think your confused, no offense. If we are ahead, we should value bet, or possibly give him the chance to fold a hand like JJ/QQ if were not really ahead, just the board scares him. Secondly, I doubt we have the best hand here, hardly ever. I think the play is on the flop, where we have lots of outs with 2 cards to come.

Folding preflop I think is really the right play here.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
+1
Old 09-10-2007, 12:48 PM

Fold pf. Raise flop or shove turn. Flop raise gives you outs but is transparent. Turn shove looks mega strong but he's going to feel priced in with a K. I can't see he folds a worse hand on the river.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:12 PM

You called PF because you wanted to play a little fancy in position, and you managed to do so on every street. You know you're gonna be in trouble more often than not on the flop. Also, you know that as played, your opponent is getting better than 3:1 on the river to call. And thus, if you are gonna make a play with this lovely flop, push it on the flop or the turn, though both plays are transparent and wreak of a draw. Though your river push wreaks of A high flush the most, and I LOVE using the check/call push line on boards like this with QQ, KQ, KJ, even JJ if I feel my opponent is FOS.

Dave - this sounds tough, but I notice a trend with you on some of these hands - you are over valuing weak aces in position in crucial pots of tournaments. You think you can take players off hands or play position with trash because it's late and a crucial bluff is necessary. Really, though, and I know this by heart, this is the kind of [censored] that keeps a lot of players away from final tables. Just tighten up a little and you'll be a lot better off.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 PM

I agree with Barry. You're less likely to move a donk off a hand at this stage because many of them feel like they're freerolling now that OMG they made the money.

Edit: as a sidenote, I really dislike calling with the Ah on 3 flush board as a general rule. I realize that you were planning to bluff here if you missed, but it kinda looks like a missed flush draw with this action... Anyway, I think the implied odds of you getting paid off when the flush hits are just not worth it.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:34 PM

I totally agree with you Barry, I tend to do this and I know I shouldn't. It's just something about when I see someone opening in LP a lot, I want to resteal from them, but I'm too weaktight to do it right.

I don't remember the last time I played a hand this way, specifically the push at the end. But I see it on here a fair amount by good players, and am sort of trying to figure out what kind of conditions need to be present to do it right.

Also, I posted this hand more to get preferred lines than to critique my play in this hand. I pretty much hate the way I played it.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Barry. You're less likely to move a donk off a hand at this stage because many of them feel like they're freerolling now that OMG they made the money.

Edit: as a sidenote, I really dislike calling with the Ah on 3 flush board as a general rule. I realize that you were planning to bluff here if you missed, but it kinda looks like a missed flush draw with this action... Anyway, I think the implied odds of you getting paid off when the flush hits are just not worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind I was like 90% sure my A was good here too.