Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 09:20 AM

Default How can I be so bad?

I hit a bad run yesterday losing 70bb. Of course I was pretty ul, but I also think I played horribly. I don't get how I can be so bad after doing this for more than a year. I just get very excited and make extremely lame call downs and stupid bluffs, not thinking more than a split second before I act. I'm trying to slow down holding my hand away from the mouse, but ooops I'm CR and insta-call again. It's silly.

The stakes are so low, so the money shouldn't matter much. A really bad downsing is like buying a book or a couple of pizzas. It's sick! How can I call down K4 on a K57Q board after a calling station waited to the turn to raise me? I have no idea why I did it when the cards are turned over. Don't remeber thinking anything.

Also, I still feel lost in many basic spots. HU, someone donks and I have no idea. Tnx to all of u guys who tries ur best to help me. Just feel [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], right now.

Peter
Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: How can I be so bad?

lol post the donking hands pls

and b/f like its your job ldo
Old 08-27-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just get very excited and make extremely lame call downs and stupid bluffs, not thinking more than a split second before I act

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 'not thinking' part of this statement says it all.

I had/still have exactly the same probably 6 months since picking this game up. a session review sent to me by Housecalls - who video captured his game with audio - actually has me copying his thought process and talking my game through as i play and really taking note of opponents actions. must sound like a loon but I'm making less daft call downs just by thinking and not auto-pressing buttons like some chimp - lol . [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol post the donking hands pls

and b/f like its your job ldo

[/ QUOTE ]

When I get home I will post my most retarded hands, perhaps with a poll. I haven't looked but I'm pretty sure there are a few goodis. I also ended the session by playing HU, when I allready was pretty tilted. I wouldn't exactly call my self an expert HU player [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].
Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 AM

70bb...whatever.

Play less tables. Make some good laydowns. (Hell, make some bad laydowns, just work on folding again.) Work on your reads. Close your other windows that are adding to the 'noise' that is creating some interference.

You were probably winning with those hands (incorrectly) and now you are seeing the other side of the variance. If you want to win, you have to use your head. You can't just autopilot for small pots.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the 'not thinking' part of this statement says it all.

I had/still have exactly the same probably 6 months since picking this game up. a session review sent to me by Housecalls - who video captured his game with audio - actually has me copying his thought process and talking my game through as i play and really taking note of opponents actions. must sound like a loon but I'm making less daft call downs just by thinking and not auto-pressing buttons like some chimp - lol . [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice! I will talk my way through the hands and prey noone sends me to an institution. Honestly, I will try this.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 AM

There was a post long ago by bisonbison about talking through your hands. It really does help. Don't just say what you are going to do, say why, and if you don't know why, don't do it. Then go find out why you should, or shouldn't have, done that.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a post long ago by bisonbison about talking through your hands. It really does help. Don't just say what you are going to do, say why, and if you don't know why, don't do it. Then go find out why you should, or shouldn't have, done that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is one of those advices that can really make a huge difference over time. I also think it will be easier to know which hands to post if u have actuly thought something when u played the hand.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:30 AM

Sushi,
Try pretending that you have a friend sitting next to you and you are teaching him the game. Explain every action to him. That should get you to think about what you are doing before you do it.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 PM

I know exactly how you feel, as I am in the same situation -- the downswings create a sense of doubt, but it's especially the tough hands and not knowing what to do that really makes me feel lousy. You may have seen these two recent posts expressing frustration (e.g. "How are you supposed to win this [censored] game?"). I think there may be a number of posters on the board in our spot -- ~1000-2000 post types who have learned SSHE-style play very well but are finding themselves frequently in non-SSHE situations, such as being heads up against a donker or check-raiser.

I have a couple of ideas of things we could do to work on these areas:
<ul type="square"> [*] 1. Set up some priavte nano games with 2-10 of us where we discuss every hand. If possible, it would be very value-added to have a Wookie or Aussie type sweat (or participate) and provide feedback.
[*]2. Session reviews amongst ourselves or with the experts. I think we are frequently paired with the noobs, which we should continue to do, but it is valuable to get more advanced feedback as well.
[*]3. Let's post a series of "tough decision" hands -- things like HU donkers that you mention. At the end of this series, we should each write some general takeaways that we got from going through the exercise ("Call down if the donker is an aggro," or whatever).
[/list]Sushi and others -- let me know what you think of these ideas and your interest in participating. Of these, I'd be most excited about #1, especially if there is someone available to coach.