Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2006, 06:27 AM

Default $200-$400 Hand

Villain is drinking and had been playing a bit reckless, but in general knows what he's doing and is a regular winning player at this limit.

I opened from the button in a 4 handed game with 76s. The BB called.

Flop came 876 with 2 hearts. He check/raises, I call.

Turn is an off 6. We go 6 bets with me putting in the last bet.

River is an off 8 and he leads. What's my play?
Old 07-01-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Re: $200-$400 Hand

autocall
Old 07-01-2006, 06:41 AM

Could he really be betting 77 fearing that you had 88... I think he would go more bets on the turn with that. I'd call. (ps. i don't play 2/4) Raising seems reckless.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:37 AM

this is far closer to a fold than a raise. i think he has 86.

im assuming he bet the turn, you raised, he reraised(3), you reraised (4) and now he puts in the 5th bet on the turh and you but in the 6th and he calls.

he does not have a straight
he does not have an overpair
he is not bluffing
he has a boat.

you are beat here. if he had 88 or 77 he probably would have gone another bet on the turn and you would not have reraised him.

i think at best this is a crying call due to pot size and the possibility of his "reckless" play.

however, i dont think putting in the 6th bet on this turn is correct. 4th is fine. but once he comes back over for 5 this turns into a call down.

Barron
Old 07-01-2006, 12:49 PM

Can you fold? I don't think so. The pot is pretty big, and a good player may bet a weak hand he is going to call with anyways (a couple different straights are possible holdings for him on the turn, for example). Further, if you are the kind of player that makes big laydowns like this, it's that much more likely that a good player will bet a hand he intends to call here. I'm almost always going to make him show me an 8.

Can you raise? You're definitely not a favorite if you are called. What about as a bluff? I suppose there is some tiny chance you could get a huge laydown from the right player, but it seems pretty far-fetched. Raising is out.

ok, you can't fold, you can't raise. What else is there?

-eric
Old 07-01-2006, 12:49 PM

I agree with Barron about the turn 6 bet. But i also want to say i do not like the flop call of the c/r. This board is so co-ordinated, and since you shouldn't be happy to raise a 5,8, 9, T turn, you should just get some money in here IMO.

As for the river, he should basically never have a worse hand here, but any time that you think someone might being playing a bit reckless, i would not fold a boat in a pot this size.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:11 PM

i would say, a call cause if he has an 8 that's not good. but if he has an overpair your good. so I'd say call.

wut did u do?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is far closer to a fold than a raise. i think he has 86.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would he leads with 86??? really dumb spot to lead. the hands he leads here are probably hands like T9, 95, 45, and some other random hands like AA-QQ.

if he's leading a hand that beats us it's 87 with the hopes of bet-3betting, but even then, checkraising induces a 3bet from weaker 8s pretty much every time which means he can 4bet a large portion of the time.

i definitely think folding is out of the question. im not a big fan of raising because i think a good player will fold many of his worse hands (ie when we raise the river our only poissible hands are 86 and 88 if we are not playing super tricky).
Old 07-01-2006, 03:34 PM

call and curse.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:21 PM

I don't like the way I played the flop either. Normally I go ahead and get the money in on the flop, since there are many cards that stifle me on the turn. But I wanted to mix it up as I had been getting check/raised quite a bit from this guy and having to fold the turn so far every time.

The 6 bet is marginal for sure, but I guess you had to be there and see how the game was playing. There was excessive turn raising even given that it was short handed.