Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 PM

Default K-10 Vs. Chipleader Bubble (6.50)

I generally do not play this passive. The way i seen it though is if i shove flop a hand i do not beat is NOT folding , but a hand i do beat is not calling. So i figured if im ahead shoving is gonna lose value. Is it really that ugly to leave 900 behind by the river?
I probally shouldnt have raised into the chipleaders BB to begin with but the post is on how do you/should i play this postflop. If there was a draw out there i'd shove flop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

SB (t1755)
BB (t5270)
Hero (t3815)
Button (t2660)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T, K.
[color=#CC3333]Hero raises to t500</font>, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, BB calls t300.

Flop: (t1100) K, 5, 5 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]BB bets t800</font>, Hero calls t800.

Turn: (t2700) Q [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>

River: (t4300) 8 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t5900
Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: K-10 Vs. Chipleader Bubble (6.50)

This is the same hand you posted on FTR, right?

The way I approach any hand in a SNG is that if I play, I ideally want to get all my money in. If I can't or it doesn't look like I should, I try to get to showdown cheaply. What I'm trying to avoid are hands that I put a ton of chips into the pot but lose. What I'm trying to avoid above all is leaving myself shortstacked by doing that.

That's where I'm coming from when I look at this hand. (And I got there by trying to figure out why some of the really good players here are so keen to get the money in rather than play passively -- I realised that they wanted to maximise the amount at risk when they felt they had a good edge, and minimise it when they didn't, which is good poker, of course.)

So I hate your play here. I hate that you just called down and I hate that you left 4.5BB behind. When you're behind, you have given up most of your stack and left yourself really short; when you're ahead, you have failed to double up and lost value. Okay, you didn't go bust but only because you didn't have the balls to get it in.

Villain's line is a bit odd. You'd expect a K or 5 to check it to you. Maybe he has a smallish K on the flop and wants you to fold? A PP would fit quite well. When you don't fold flop, he fires again turn? I'd pop him there. But even if you do just call there, I want to get the rest in on the river, no question. The paired flop hurts you because although you catch up with KJ on the turn, every smaller king catches up with you. The other guy might or might not be aware of that.

And I think you're wrong about the flop. If you shove it, Kx is likely to call and many PPs will too.