Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 01:03 AM

Default 1 vs. 100 - NBC Game Show

OK, so after reading on this board about the Dateline predator action, I flip on NBC to get my pedophile on.

Instead, there's some game show called "1 vs. 100". I think that's the name, anyways. Hosted by the awesomely debaucherous Bob Saget (who looks like he's on death's door, or maybe I'm influenced by the stories in this forum about his epic self-loathing coke and hooker benders), this show apparently pits a person against 100 people. Well, kind of.

The opponents are set up in a Hollywood-Squares-on-Steroids series of rows, maybe 10X10, don't care. Apparently they're broken out by profession, but I came in late, don't know. Ken Jennings was one of the players though, he got bounced I think on a question about roulette (that's the Mormons' bad for not gambling...heh).

I only saw part of the show, but some guy that looked just like I imagine Anacardo looking...

...anyway, this guy's making a run. What's interesting about this game is that it's in the opponents' best interest to get the contestant to keep playing, so they try to encourage him to answer right, but it's in the contestant's best interest to know when to stop. The only glaring flaw I saw was the stair-stepping of the betting rounds. When Bizarre-o Anacardo quit, it was the obvious choice: the next round stood to pay him at best half of what he made in the previous round, but he had to risk it all to play it.

I think I'll be watching it next week. Has anyone else in this forum seen this game and can comment on whether it's awesome or not? FYI, I thought the game show "Greed" around Y2K was also awesome, and not just because it was hosted by Chuck Woolery.

EDIT: I forgot, I did get my child predator on. The episode of Law & Order right after that was "ripped from the headlines" about a guy featured on a faux Dateline child predator show. Good stuff.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:07 AM

Default Re: 1 vs. 100 - NBC Game Show

Dateline was on USA at that time.

The show's okay, if all 100 go out, you win a million. Seems interesting, but that roulette question was so random. I'll watch again next week.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The show's okay, if all 100 go out, you win a million.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but unlike "Millionaire", "Greed" or "Deal or No Deal" the risk : reward ratio seems terrible. For example, I think the dude quit at $4K and had at least three rounds to go. Hell, the last three questions were tough for most people. I guess that's why they limit it to three choices, but the guy would have risked nearly $200K to make another $50K or so (a guess based of the remaining people left). Not a hard decision.

Maybe this was an anomaly tonight because you think they'd test the hell out of these games before they pitch them for a PT audience.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:16 AM

Tuq,

Please stop creating these impressions in the minds of your readers.

Taking exception, and damn is my mirror filthy,

T. d A. y C.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:37 AM

'cardo,

My bad. I thought you looked like your avatar, and didn't have both an awesome clothes hanger for your door AND Old Spice deoderant (that's how I roll, fo' shiz). Glad to have you out on this coast, although to be fair I spend as much time in Atlanta as L.A.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:39 AM

greed was probabbly the best gameshow ever.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:41 AM

I watched the first 30 minutes of the first episode. The questions were ridiculously easy. The contestant quit as soon as he ran out of lifelines. I didn't need lifelines for the questions he got.

I have no interest in watching a show with easier questions than Kids' Jeopardy!, with multiple choice, to boot.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:47 AM

Did you see the Jessica Lynch question? LOL What a donkey. As if 51 of the 55 (or whatever) remaining people, including Ken Jennings, got it wrong. Dude uses both lifelines on one question, narrows it down to a no-brainer, then goes with his gut instinct anyway. Although the bigger retard may have been the lady in the mob who said "I'm 100% sure Jessica Lynch was the girl that fell in the mine. I remember it like it was yesterday" and then after he lost said "well I guess I was 7 when it happened so I must have forgotten." Okay, that's not 100% babe.

I actually kind of enjoyed it in the same mindless way i enjoyed Millionare and Deal or No Deal for a short while. I wonder how much these game show creators get paid.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:51 AM

It's a cool show, except for the inherent flaw that none of these contestants are ever going to go past a couple hundred thousand or so. There is just no failsafe built in that would make the contestant risk everything at that point for maybe a 50% increase in prze money. I guess if the contestant had both their lifelines left, they may consider continuing, but still the risk to reward ratio sucks.

I think Greed had the same issue, that you had to be a huge gambler or a complete moron to continue at some point. That show was awesome otherwise.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI, I thought the game show "Greed" around Y2K was also awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

That means a lot, because if you liked Greed, that means you have great taste in game shows.

I've wanted to watch 1 vs 100, but I'm not fond of spending my friday night at home. They need to move the show to like Thursday night.