Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Live 25/50 versus a \'B\'-level poker celebrity!

I've been playing for about an hour, been pretty active although not crazy. I have been playing very aggressive, reraised a few times and been cbetting with almost 100% frequency. Game is 25/50 uncapped in aruba, 5 handed. Villain is "Lee Markholt." I sort of recognized him when I sat down, he's been on TV a few times for some donkament final tables. I really have no clue if he plays well or not, but he definitely seemed solid so far.

I have about 10k to start the hand he covers.

5 handed 2 horrible rich Venezualens limp, Lee completes in the sb, I check K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
(200) Lee bets 200 I call, venezuala #1 and #2 fold.

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Lee checks quickly and calls 600 just as quick.

River T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Lee checks pretty fast.

I...

Thin value bet? Or check behind?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Live 25/50 versus a \'B\'-level poker celebrity!

Seems like he could easily have Ax clubs here no? In any case I cant think of that many hands that would call a bet that you beat.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:29 PM

i think if you bet that river youd be bluffing moreso than value betting...

also, considering the circumstances, isnt that a pretty easy pfr?
Old 10-01-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think if you bet that river youd be bluffing moreso than value betting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Initially I thought about betting the river before the ten hit. Then when I made 2nd pair I thought there was no way he folds a better hand (I dont expect A2c to fold even), and at the same time Axc was pretty much the only hand I thought he could have that was beating me. I did think however that the most likely hand was something like 87 or 86 etc, but I was unsure if they would call a bet.

The reason I thought this might have been a decent spot for a value bet is that he could very easily put me on a draw, or a combo pair+draw that now thinks its no good and is bluffing river-- if he had something like 97.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think so. The donkey venezualans never really folded pf once they put money in the pot, so if I raised both of them would likely call and then I'd have a real big [censored] spot I think.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:03 PM

how loose were they preflop? if they were really bad then i think inflating the pot out of position with suited broadway is good, no? if they were just moderate donks then i agree with the pf check assuming they play moderately well but just wont fold pf.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't really think so. The donkey venezualans never really folded pf once they put money in the pot, so if I raised both of them would likely call and then I'd have a real big [censored] spot I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was his point. You could get lee to fold his hand leaving you with the two donks playing deep stack.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I thought this might have been a decent spot for a value bet is that he could very easily put me on a draw, or a combo pair+draw that now thinks its no good and is bluffing river-- if he had something like 97.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and think a riverbet would be pretty sexy. I'd probably chicken out and just check though, expecting to take the pot most of the time.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how loose were they preflop? if they were really bad then i think inflating the pot out of position with suited broadway is good, no? if they were just moderate donks then i agree with the pf check assuming they play moderately well but just wont fold pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, in general they were just really loose and passive. Upon thinking more I actually agree w/ u somewhat, since they are like never gonna float w/ air or raise me light on the flop, although they easily could call me down w/ like middle pair or some [censored]. As far as donks go though, I'd say they were only mild donkeys.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:49 PM

lee is very tight and will probably not look you up with worse than you here. check behind.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:57 PM

If you think he's never folding an A, I'd just check behind. The idea of valuebetting 2nd pair on that board is cute, but I really don't think it works enough to make it worthwhile. Check behind.

Kirk