Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The last time I threw up was...
<24 hours 13 7.88%
24-48 hours 1 0.61%
48 hrs-1 week 8 4.85%
1-2 weeks 7 4.24%
2-4 weeks 12 7.27%
1-6 months 56 33.94%
6-12 months 16 9.70%
1-5 years 30 18.18%
>5 years 22 13.33%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2006, 10:50 AM

Default OOT - Help me pick my MBA application recommenders!

Ok guys, so I am starting to apply for MBA programs for the Fall 2007 now. I'm applying for Round 1 deadlines, which are at the end of October to the beginning of November. I'm trying to nail down who my recommenders are going to be. I have a few choices, and I have described them and my relationships with them below. Please help me pick who I should ask.

Consultant - This is probably my closest friend within my company. He was the President of my fraternity in college when I joined, he got me my current job, and he was my supervisor for about 3 months. He has an extremely high opinion of me, and I think he would take this very seriously.

Manager #1 - This was my first manager at my company. She is a phenomenal writer, and I think would write an extremely well written recommendation. I'm just not sure how she'd evaluate me. She definitely appreciated my work. I worked under her for about 8 months. It was just my first 8 months so I didn't know what the heck I was doing at times.

Manager #2 - This is my current manager and has been for 5 months now. She definitely thinks I have phenomenal potential, and knows I have great skills within the company. However, since I have known I am leaving the company within the next 3 months to move, I have developed a case of apathy at times, and I know she has seen this. She has sat me down once to basically tell me to get my head out of my ass and that I'm much better than this. I know she is a fantastic writer and would take this very seriously. I am just not sure what side of her would show in the recommendation.

Senior Executive - This is my higher up boss. He likes me, but doesn't know me extremely well. We make small talk in passing here and there, and he has heard feedback from my supervisors about me. He has more influence in the company, however.

Professor - I have not spoken with this professor in 3+ years since I left school. I don't even know if he'd remember my name. However, I took 3 of his classes and got an A in all 3. He was a great guy, and I am sure would write a recommendation if I asked him. I would probably have to give him a ton of info. about what I've been doing though, and I'm not sure how personal it would be.

If you need any more info., please let me know! Help me out with this, since I don't know who to ask!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: OOT - Help me pick my MBA application recommenders!

Consultant's a gimme. The two managers are the other two sensible choices, but you should make sure you know what they're going to write before you have them write it. If you can't do that, I would be tempted to go with a safe but bland rec from one of the other two.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:15 AM

Managers 1&amp;2 and it's not close. I suggest you give them an outline (I actually wrote the recs and had them sign them) so that they know what to talk about (teamwork, leadership, and initiative). With that said, recommendations make little difference in getting admitted, so don't sweat it.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Yeah, I was thinking of going with the consultant (he's up for promotion to manager this year), and Managers 1 and 2. Some schools require 2 and some require 3 recommendations. I will come up with an outline of what I've done and all my skills, but first I'd like to nail down who I plan on getting my recommendations from.