Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Either rock-slinging or dragon hunting.

Ever since my summer vacation, I decided I want to play manly poker. So I figure what's more manly than dragon hunting? Villian is barneyandthecrew.

The game was going normal. Not too tight not too loose with a few aggression moves here and there. barneyandthecrew was stealing pots left and right and I was content with my occassional police duty. Early in the session at another table, I made a really "thin" call against him in which he complimented me, which made me feel good since it was an indication me that I've come near poker puberty. I didn't say "thanks. blah blah" because my keyboard was unhooked from the Party software so I coudn't chat but I didn't know if he knew this.

History: Me and barneyandthecrew like to do small dances. I usually try to take the lead but he always tell me who the man is. Sometimes when I use force to take the lead, he just shoves.

Ok, here's the hand: Each of us have 3k.
Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $10/$20
3 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is Button with :td :tc
[color=#cc0000]Hero raises to $80</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: :6d :kc :2d ($170, 2 players)
[color=#cc0000]BB bets $104</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: :8c ($378, 2 players)
[color=#cc0000]BB bets $313</font>, [color=#cc0000]Hero raises to $788.36</font>?

The reason I'm raising here is because I know I'm good about 65-70% of the time. Additionally, I want to charge him for whatever draw that he was on. In case he has a set or weirdly made two pairs, he'll tell me who the daddy is. Of course I have to consider if barneyandthecrew is steamed up and tell me to go buck myself. In such case, I might call.

Thoughts?

Edit: There's more action to come after this but I want to hear comments on the raise first.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Either rock-slinging or dragon hunting.

I have no comments on the hand but I like your post.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:48 AM

Bizzare my friend. Bizarre.......

As for the hand, well I don't know what exactly you are trying to accomplish. If you think you are ahead here, why not pop the flop? By the turn you can make a bet that will put him to a decision for all his chips while just risking a bet from your stack. As played, that card doesn't do anything to change the dynamics/texture to the point of openning your range with this bet. Infact it may even decrease your range in villians eyes. A c/r represents a set/AA here. It would be an ackward 2 pair holding and no straight/flushes are possible. I would like this c/r (ofcourse it being bigger) if a better card came off theutrn like an A,Q,K,J...something that you can represent.

Plus your c/r here is way too small. You still price in the diamond draw with this bet and only further commit yourself to paying off a river bet if he hits or has the K. The fact that you don't know if you are beat here and he has fired on 2 streets should make you want to get in c/c mode for if nothing else, inducing a bluff from this guy.

Are you looking to check down a blank river or value bet? What exactly does your range of this guy look like?

NOTE: I have been drinking and am not sure if what I said is 100% ramble. If so then please disregard.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:07 AM

eh if he's been really jacked up, he could read this as a freeshowdownish raise and pop it again with his draw/air. If you had 2 pair or better you would probably make it at least 1k to go.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:18 AM

you write well.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: :8c ($378, 2 players)
[color=#cc0000]BB bets $313</font>, [color=#cc0000]Hero raises to $788.36</font>?

The reason I'm raising here is because I know I'm good about 65-70% of the time. Additionally, I want to charge him for whatever draw that he was on. In case he has a set or weirdly made two pairs, he'll tell me who the daddy is. Of course I have to consider if barneyandthecrew is steamed up and tell me to go buck myself. In such case, I might call.

Thoughts?

Edit: There's more action to come after this but I want to hear comments on the raise first.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't really understand this thought process

i don't think you're going to be charging him for a draw,because he's not going to call a pot sized bet with a draw with one card to come,and i don't think its very likely he's on a draw anyway unless he happens to have turned a flush draw. (i don't know villain,so this is presuming he doesnt think he has the implied odds to call,maybe he might figure since a draw is unlikely you'll pay him off on the river with whatever hand is strong enough to raise the turn with,though i think this is unlikely..)

i think he'll almost always raise or fold a draw,so i suppose your raise is ok if you're happy enough calling a push,(but if that's the case that might well be exploitable in future)

if you'd fold to a push then i hate the raise,call and let him bluff the river,or at least call and see what he does...

if you're good 65-70% of the time here then 65-70% of the time you make him fold a worse hand that doesn't have many outs,and the other 35-30% of the time you've doubled the size of the pot with a worse hand,neither seem to me to be good situations...
Old 08-20-2006, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think you're going to be charging him for a draw,because he's not going to call a pot sized bet with a draw with one card to come,and i don't think its very likely he's on a draw anyway unless he happens to have turned a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
He will call if he has a draw.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:52 PM

this is well played assuming the other guy isnt supertough, if he is u are gonna induce a push here alot from hands u have beat.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:53 PM

BTW/ we call this a "free showdown play" aka "making your opponent your bitch via position"...
Old 08-20-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you write well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. But it wasn't well enough since everyone missed the joke and didn't notice the similarity between barneyandthecrew and beeandtheboo.

Also, he pushed like I wanted. But I turned into a girl and Mahatma kicked me out of his crew.