Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Contract problem\'s... advice

Backstory: I came home from travelling/living abroad to run this company's British Columbia division. I've been doing it for the last 6 months, with good success. We're about to launch the integral, and main, part of the business and I just got the contract propsal which is effectively this:

16% of all net sales in BC
2,000 a month
50% of private sales through me ... basically, 50% commission through sales that I personally orchestrate.

Now, a little bit about the company: It has grown 150 - 200% annually since 2004 and is now moving outside of it's first marketplace. The market here in British Columbia is $600 million annually, and we have no direct competition in the services that we provide.

Now, the person who runs the company is a friend of mine, so bringing up contract problems is a little bit harder for me.... but, I thought that it would be more like 25%, 2,5000 month... as this is what was hinted and assumed.

Am I just being greedy, or is this a pretty good contract? This is the first for me, so i'm just looking for some feedback in regards to how this contract looks and if I do have a problem with it, the best way of bringing it up without causing a big "thing".

And sorry for being so vague, but I know there are some Vancouver readers here.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Contract problem\'s... advice

I would negotiate, if you thought it would be bigger I don't think it would be inappropriate or greedy to bring it up
Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would negotiate, if you thought it would be bigger I don't think it would be inappropriate or greedy to bring it up

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they lowballed you, they expect you to negotiate.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Backstory: I came home from travelling/living abroad to run this company's British Columbia division. I've been doing it for the last 6 months, with good success. We're about to launch the integral, and main, part of the business and I just got the contract propsal which is effectively this:

16% of all net sales in BC
2,000 a month
50% of private sales through me ... basically, 50% commission through sales that I personally orchestrate.

Now, a little bit about the company: It has grown 150 - 200% annually since 2004 and is now moving outside of it's first marketplace. The market here in British Columbia is $600 million annually, and we have no direct competition in the services that we provide.

Now, the person who runs the company is a friend of mine, so bringing up contract problems is a little bit harder for me.... but, I thought that it would be more like 25%, 2,5000 month... as this is what was hinted and assumed.

Am I just being greedy, or is this a pretty good contract? This is the first for me, so i'm just looking for some feedback in regards to how this contract looks and if I do have a problem with it, the best way of bringing it up without causing a big "thing".

And sorry for being so vague, but I know there are some Vancouver readers here.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you please define what you mean by "net sale".

16% of what exactly?

50% of what exactly?

Also, could you provide the industry?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:40 PM

C,

I agree that you should negotiate, especially if your expectations were set higher, but overall this looks like a pretty huge comp plan for a sales guy.

Hard to say more without more information.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C,

I agree that you should negotiate, especially if your expectations were set higher, but overall this looks like a pretty huge comp plan for a sales guy.

Hard to say more without more information.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm basically the director of the British Columbia division, it's much more than sales though... it's basically making sure that everything is taken care of and people are happy + sales.