Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Reshoving with a marginal hand in the late game

i see the best players on the net do this constantly and im trying to get a better feel of when to and not to do it.
i posted 1 hand below...

1st is my understanding is you want to have a similar stack size so that the initial raiser has fold equity
(ive gotten people to lay down ak/aj when making a move like this) but when it doesnt work it obv sucks and im trying to get a better idea of

-what type of players to make this move on,
-who not to
-if i do reshove should i just go allin or in the case below should i have made it like 9-12k instead of shoving 30k more.
-are there any circumstances imparticular you look for to reshove?
well heres the hand below

25 people left in 9ker im about 7th in chips with 30k villain has around 41k and opens from position 8 to
$3,600 with blinds at 600-1200 i have A2o on the button and shove allin for 30k. thoughts';:?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Reshoving with a marginal hand in the late game

This is a thread better suited for the regular MTT strategy forum. But it's on a case basis.

But looking at the hand itself it seems terrible, though I don't know what position 8 really means.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:56 AM

there has already been some good threads on this but in general for a resteal you want a lp raiser who is opening a wide range but is capable of folding to a resteal. Your hand is not that important if you have a read that he is likely to fold but hands like A2o seem to generally be the worst restealing hands. hands like 97 and 910 are was less likely to be dominated if called. Also in your hand your allin looks like such bs and a smart villian will see that. Raising to about 12k probably has more fold equity that the allin. The most important thing is to have a solid read that this guy can fold and not doing these because "good players are doing it"
Old 08-05-2007, 03:16 AM

1. decide if he's raising light

2. look at stack to pot ratio, decide if its worth a shove or not

3. shove or not

4. profit
Old 08-05-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. decide if he's raising light

2. look at stack to pot ratio, decide if its worth a shove or not

3. shove or not

4. profit

[/ QUOTE ]

this is basically it.

if he's a light opener but tight caller, pooooosh a ton.

make sure if you're pushing you're not doing something daft like pushing 30bb with weak hands (though who knows, maybe it's +cEV, i'm just going off the cuff here) while you cannot resteal when your opponent is getting at worst 2-1.

the best chip stack to resteal with is 15-18bb or so, but be aware that you can viably resteal with as little as 10bb if villain minraises, but you might need as much as 20 if antes are heavy and villain pots. this is why you hear people say that opening light in these chip stacks is poor play because in addition to needing to fold to a reraise, you often lose restealing potential.

also, if he calls and you were on a steal and are a dog... just suck out.