Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 AM

Default The Wire -- What Am I Missing?

Everyone says the Wire is amazing.

I am watching Season One, and have seen the first four episodes.

It is immensely boring and I am probably going to give up on it unless convinced otherwise.

Watching 59 minutes of a show is hard enough, but when there's NOTHING exciting going on, it's like wtf. I am struggling to put into words how uneventful the first four episodes have been. So far I have zero interest in the storyline, and I feel like I am waiting for nothing. I watch very little television except the very best -- 24, Veronica Mars, House, The Shield, Curb Your Enthusiasm. I am trying to get into this show since everyone says it's so great, but wow. It's bad.

What the hell is so great about the Wire?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Re: The Wire -- What Am I Missing?

uh, then stop watching it.

you think that once a bunch of people point out the things they enjoy about the show, then you will then start to enjoy it?

gratuitiously contrarian threads suck.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:41 AM

u kinda gotta get into the plot and know the characters to enjoy it. It is certainly an entertaining show and a worthwhile way to kill a few days going through the Seasons but yeah if u dont like the show and find it slow no need to keep choking it down.

disclaimer: im sure their is some sick violence and what not coming up in a near episode u will be missing out on...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 AM

24? House? LOL.

It's slow paced because it's 1 13 hour long plot instead of a bunch of neat little 42 minute stories.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:57 AM

You must not like good television. I just got done watching Season 1 and thought it was wonderful. I was hooked within the first two episodes. The show is character driven, there isn't going to be any huge explosions or crazy action sequences like 24. If you can't get into that, just stop watching now.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must not like good television. I just got done watching Season 1 and thought it was wonderful. I was hooked within the first two episodes. The show is character driven, there isn't going to be any huge explosions or crazy action sequences like 24. If you can't get into that, just stop watching now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignorance. Yeah, I haven't found anything to like about the typical "omg we have to bring down another drug kingpin" slow-moving storyline, so obviously I don't like good television.

lol @ trying to imply that the reason I like 24 is because of explosions and action scenes. Um, no. That is not remotely close as to what makes 24 the best show on television.

I wasn't looking for The Wire fanboys to go on the defensive. I was looking for something to look forward to in the future episodes of Season 1 in order to keep me motivated to watching the show. If this is how it's going to be for the entire season, then yes, I have no problem giving up on it.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 PM

You can't expect anything to be resolved before the end of the season. The entire season is a novel, and the episode breaks are just arbitrary restrictions put in because of running time. It's basically a 13 hour movie.

But if you hated a movie 1/3 of the way through, I would guess you would usually still hate it even after watching the whole thing. So maybe this just isn't your thing. Clearly a lot of people feel the way you do or the show would be much more popular.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 PM

FWIW I found the first few episodes pretty slow. Somebody who is a big fan of the wire told me the 1st season is the worst one and after that I would be hooked.

I also didn't like the 1st season of 24 and quit on it around 5 hours it.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:09 PM

You are missing:

1- a clue
2- taste
3- brain cells
4- patience
Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 PM

I really tried to get into the show myself, watched a few epissodes, but I agree, its just not that great, and it drags on.