Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2006, 03:47 AM

Default Open raising from SB

As seen in another post I made recently, there was a discussion about open completing in the SB and what to do if raised and if it is ever correct to fold here.

I have another question about the SB and this one is related to open RAISING in the SB. What type of hands do you openraise with in SB and against what types of opponents? Hands like QT, K8, etc are hard for me to play in the SB first in because the BB calls like 90% of the time getting 3:1 and position postflop and then we end up playing a marginal hand OOP.

What about weak aces? I also hate raising with them OOP since it is almost like playing with one card. But I feel that you should do it quite often, though, since your hand is way above the range of any 2 random cards. But does the positional disadvantage make you opencomplete them more?

Specifically, what type of opponents do you openraise from the SB more leniently against? I would assume it is best to do this against weak-tightys as we have the most FE here, but then again it may be best to raise hands like A2 vs very loose passive opponents who will see a flop regardless of their cards simply because of pot equity.

Discuss
Old 02-26-2006, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Open raising from SB

/\
Old 02-26-2006, 05:39 AM

AA-22, A2+, K8+, Q9+, J9+ (roughly). It's the same for suited and offsuit cards. I just dabbled in PokerStove and after a few minutes it gave me 60.5% equity for that range vs. a random hand. J9o has ~53.5% equity, so that range doesn't seem too bad.

The only thing is that my range is so much easier to play on the flop and turn than a random hand. I didn't account for this.

I'm looking for high card strength (stronger K's, Q's, and J's) to improve to the best hand, and hands with showdown value (aces and pairs).

Versus more aggro players who overzealously defend their BB (to the point where they're playing 5+ BB pots a lot of the time), I'd raise the same hands. We have a better than average hand, and can't be afraid to play a marginal hand in a small pot OOP vs. anyone. <font color="white">Except Phil Ivey, who is a [censored] beast.</font>

I haven't been able to observe such a weak player in a game where I can imagine raising PF and betting out the flop with any two cards being +EV. Therefore I make no adjustments. How can I tell how weak/strong a player is in the blinds in a session? From what I can tell, it would require a bit of observation which I never have. PT stats would definitely help, but blind steal situations are different from the usual postflop from which most of the stats come from.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:48 AM

Well it seems that all too often I find myself openraising hands like Q9o and the flop comes K 7 4 rainbow and I try to c-bet out and get raised and fold. Then I just wish I open limped and c/f the flop. I guess it's just a matter of taste/feel.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:09 AM

You're probably running into someone who flopped top pair or second pair. If they continue doing that frequently then make some adjustments.