Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Min-raised pre-flop, holding JJ and an awkward stack.

£50k guarantee - £50 buy-in. I imagine I should get some credit for having a hand here if anyone's paying attention. FWIW, I'm substantially ahead of flat-caller's range - he's been doing that a lot.

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $50/$100
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $800
hero: $2850
UTG+2: $4685
MP1: $3845
MP2: $4795
MP3: $4505
CO: $2270
Button: $3160
SB: $4675
BB: $6045

Pre-flop: (10 players) hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $300</font>, UTG+2 calls, 5 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $600</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Min-raised pre-flop, holding JJ and an awkward stack.

I'm not sure...

Call and see the flop. See what he does on the flop based on the texture.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:17 PM

SB must have a monster so you're probably beat (You raised from early position). You're getting over 4 to 1 to call, although if UTG+2 calls, it's really more than 6 to 1, and is a mandatory call.

I know some people would push all-in here, but I wouldn't. SB is almost certain to call. I'd just call and see if you hit the flop or not.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SB must have a monster so you're probably beat (You raised from early position). You're getting over 4 to 1 to call, although if UTG+2 calls, it's really more than 6 to 1, and is a mandatory call.

I know some people would push all-in here, but I wouldn't. SB is almost certain to call. I'd just call and see if you hit the flop or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I'm going to commit 20% of my stack in the hope that I flop a set? Shouldn't I just fold then? Also, if I call, the flat-caller calls and I'm three-way seeing a flop with no idea where I stand and first to act.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:49 AM

i think you have odds to play this solely for set value (because you have sick odds preflop in addition to your implied odds, which are not that great). i honestly can't see SB doing this without a bigger pair.

so just c/f flops without a J in them [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 AM

as usual reads are important - esp for sb in this case - i will almost just call this and see flop context - you are getting set odds - then its based on how i perceive the other players

- if flop a j, life is good, i'd play it straight-forwardly bet/raise when its my turn
- if flop all unders, its getting all in and i go broke on this - probably a leak of mine but thats where i'd be
- if flop an ace, think this is an opportunity, potentially. if checked to me, i consider jamming - you repped an ace pf and sb could easily have tt-kk. UTG+2 is a wildcard, but may be an opp to double up (or rail - lol)
-
Old 09-11-2006, 11:23 AM

I call based on pot odds for set value. Fold to anything else. I just can't see him min-raising with AK here. Can anyone else? However, I often pull the worst play ever here w/QQ and go A/I. Why? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2006, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So I'm going to commit 20% of my stack in the hope that I flop a set? Shouldn't I just fold then? Also, if I call, the flat-caller calls and I'm three-way seeing a flop with no idea where I stand and first to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not 20%.

You have to re-evaluate your hand, stack, pot and odds you are getting EVERY TIME you have a decision to make. Right now there's 1600 in the pot (with 1900 potential preflop), you have 2500 left and SB covers. It's 300 to you, for 8:1 "set value" you need to make 2400 on your 300 call. Which means you'll only need to win about t500 MORE whne you flop a set. In most situations you will win more than that, so a call for set value is good here IMO, since I strongly doubt you are ahead of the SB's range. If the Jack doesn't flop - I may also choose to push/call flops like 9-T-Q or 8-9-T if they are not monotone. Pushing is bad because SB' raise is a pot-sweetener, his range is ahead of you and he's never folding.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:34 AM

Pushing here is out of the question; unless SB has been playing very aggressively. I don't really get what the question is here. Where the hell is the flop? I hope there was a flop...

you just call here. If the flop has all low cards and it's checked to you, you could fire out 500 and hope to take it down. I wouldn't check and hope that MP bets, if he doesn't and an over comes out, you'll be sorry. If SB reraises you all in, then you should probably fold; he has you beat. If there is a call from SB, then check behind him on turn if he doesn't do the betting, then call any reasonable bet on river with no over. If SB bets on turn, assuming it's not retarted (like 200 into 1900), fold. If MP calls your bet and SB folds, fire again on turn.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 AM

How much would the sb have to raise pre-flop to make this a non-call?