Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Default What to do when home/local game makes clear wrong ruling?

Background: (Cliff Notes at End)
There is a local game run by 2 guys i know. 7 nights a week in a rented place etc... Not a home game, not a "club" but somewhere in the middle. They take 10% rake up to $4.

Other night was 5$/10$ Limit Omaha High.

Final Board Looks Like.

2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

End of hand 3 players in at showdown
Player A(who is one of the 2 who runs the game) Turns over his hand, which is 668X, slides the 2 sixes forward and says 6's full (all 4 cards are tabled though).

Player B shows a flush and mucks.

Player C says No good, shows hand 77XX and says 7's full.

Now dealer scoops the board cards and turns them over, but they are NOT mixed in with any other cards and starts to push pot to player C. Player D not in hand at all then says wait Player A has 8's full of 6's.

Dealer now stops pushing pot and turns board cards back over(there is no question about what cards were on board) and confirms that Player A does indeed have a better full house. Argument ensues. Player A(part owner of the game) claims he wins the pot as neither hand was mucked, which is true both player hands are still face up.

Player C claims that board was turned over/mucked and pot started to be pushed his way so its his.

Other owner is called in to make a ruling. Other owner says Player C wins since board was turned over and pot was started to be pushed his way. Thats the final ruling, Player A is mad but player C at least gives him back the money he lost in the pot.

Few things here, As soon as player A tabled hand i saw that he was miscalling hand but did not want to get involved. Would you have corrected Player A when he miscalled his hand?

Second, the pot was still separated, not mixed into player c's stack yet and it was clear that Player A should get the pot as he had the best hand and cards speak. Would you have spoke up that the other owner was making the wrong ruling?

lastly do you later tell the owners that they very clearly made the wrong ruling?

In general i like to stay out of disputes i am not involved in however its a little worrisome, especially for new players at the game if pots are being incorrectly awarded even after its clear who the obvious winner was?

Also KITN for the dealer for not noticing the correct hand when it was tabled.
By the way dealer is paid and gets tipped and is NOT playing in the game, simply there to deal, is one of a few regular dealers at the game.

Cliff Notes:
Cleary wrong player is awarded pot after incorrect decision by host/owners of the game? Do you speak up and argue for the player who got beat out of the pot even though you weren't in the hand? Do you approach host later to inform him of his bad decision?

In home games etc i am a little more lenient with rules but i feel if i am being charged a rake the game should run correctly and these 2 guys running it are very uninformed about some common rules and as well have no rules posted/established.