Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2006, 11:15 PM

Default How I got fired from Pizza Hut.

A long time ago, I used to be an assistant manager at Pizza Hut. I was offered a promotion to General Manager but turned it down. I turned it down because I was tired of working for the company and it had been the only job I ever had. I was on my way out, it was just a matter of when and how.

Anyway, the policy at the time was that the closing manager had to "drop" money into the safe each night. After 9 PM, you can't open the safe in case there is a robbery. But the store closes at 11. There is a 2 hour window where the store is open but you can't get into the safe. So everytime the manager drops money, he keeps track of it. In the morning, the opening manager counts the money and makes a deposit. The deposit is supposed to match the amount that was dropped the night before.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if money is missing, it's basically he said/she said. For example, the opening manager can come in, take $500 and say it was never in the safe. OR, the closing manager can pocket $500 and say he put it in the safe. Either way, you can't prove who took it.

Anyway, about 3 weeks after I turn down the promotion, I was closing manager. The next day, the General Manager calls me and tells me she is short something like $120. I told her I dropped it in the safe and she must of counted wrong. Anyway, the money was gone. Two days later, I closed again. The following morning, the shift manager calls and tell me something like $230 is missing. Again, the money is gone, nothing happens.

The next day, I am scheduded to open. I come in, and work. Around 1 PM, my area manager calls and tells me he is coming in around 3 to talk to me. At this point, I knew I was getting fired. The other Assistant Manager was supposed to come in at 4, but she showed up at 2. She told me she was told by the Area Manager to work open to close. But because her kids were at school, she couldn't come in until 2 at the earliest. So instead of working my shift, the Area Manager lets me work and comes in at 3. He tells me because money is missing on my shift, he has no choice but to let me go.

I said to him, "Bill, if you were going to fire me, why did have me work for lunch or are you a gutless Ck-sucker that's too lazy to work?". Then I walked out.

About 2 months later, the area manager calls me. He tells me that what had happened was the morning manager left the safe open while going to the bathroom or the office and one of the cooks came up front and stole the money from the open safe. Apparenly after I was fired, over $2,500 was missing over the next few weeks so they knew it wasn't me. They ended up calling the FBI and found fingerprints of the cook inside the safe. He asked if I wanted my job back. I laughed and told him I was taking a 6 month vacation.

I thought about suing the company because I hadn't done anything wrong. But one of the managers at another store told me that when you apply to PH, you can quit without notice and they can let you go without notice. So there was nothing I could really do about them firing me. So I collected unemployment for about 8 months. They did take it off PH records and changed it to voluntarily quit. I am welcome back at anytime I want if I need a job.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Re: How I got fired from Pizza Hut.

Does everyone work at Pizza Hut? 2 threads in one day?
Old 12-03-2006, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does everyone work at Pizza Hut? 2 threads in one day?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was asked how I got fired and didn't want to hijack the other thread.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:27 PM

that's [censored]. accusing someone of stealing is one of the most gutless things someone can do to you. especially with no proof.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that's [censored]. accusing someone of stealing is one of the most gutless things someone can do to you. especially with no proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. But my record was spotless so they couldn't write me up for poor job performance. It had to be something dramatic. I just never understood why they didn't just say "If you don't want to stay w/ the company, we have to let you go.". I would have been OK with that.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. But my record was spotless so they couldn't write me up for poor job performance. It had to be something dramatic. I just never understood why they didn't just say "If you don't want to stay w/ the company, we have to let you go.". I would have been OK with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

EMPLOYMENT AT WILL, baby!

US law says that (unless you're given additional protections by a contract, for instance) you can be fired, at any time, for any reason. Don't like guys who wear hats? Gone! It can be as stupid as they want it to be. About the only thing they CANT fire you for is something like race, gender, national origin, religion, etc, because the CRA provides protections for stuff like that.

That's why (despite all the--occasionally deserved--bad press they get) I'm pro-union. They almost always negotiate "termination for cause" language into a contract.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 PM

why does you not wanting more resonsibilty mean they you should be fired if you are still doing a good job?

ddi you express to someone you were planning on leaving?

obv they prob legitamitly thought you were stealing
Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 AM

There are no chefs at Pizza Hut
Old 12-04-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why does you not wanting more resonsibilty mean they you should be fired if you are still doing a good job?

ddi you express to someone you were planning on leaving?

obv they prob legitamitly thought you were stealing

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, I highly doubt that there's a connection between the two (outside of your mind, of course)
Old 12-04-2006, 01:09 AM

Did he write you up for the previous times of being short? Or did he just fire you with no prior write-ups?

We had some problems with shortages and instituted a policy for a while that the OM counts cash in the presence of a second person. Then, we transfered out a manager and the problem was solved.

They actually called in the FBI? Wow. I didn't know PH prosecuted.