Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 05:14 AM

Default 99 EP Final Table

Ladbrokes $30r FT Nine handed.

BB 1600 no antes on this site. I'm in fourth place with 24k and pick up 99 UTG+1. I have been one of the more active players at a tite table. Villain, right behind, is the tightest player and has not, after half an hour's play, played back at me once. He has just picked up a pot an moved into third in chips with 26k. CL has 50k. No one has a desperately SS - smallest is maybe 14k.

My standard raise has been a round number a little more than 2x. At this blind level I've been raising to 4k. Here I raise to 4800. I'm not sure anyone is paying attention.

Villain flat calls and everyone else folds. I'm not sure whether this indicates strength or great strength from villain. His range is pretty tight here, IMO.

Flop is monotone club flop, unconnected, Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] high. I have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

What's the play here?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:20 AM

Default Re: 99 EP Final Table

I think I shove.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:26 AM

Can you give me your reasons? My range for villain here is 10-10+, AQ+, (maybe, possibly down to AJs or 77 but I don't think so). Do you think you can shove him off his hand?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:45 AM

Your range sounds about right to me for a tight player. He'll fold about half of that range to a bet - put in your standard continuation bet (assuming it's been 40-60% of the pot) - this isn't the type of board he'll pick as his spot to play back/play along w/o a hand. You're getting the right price to do so, will know where you stand based on his action and you'll be left w/ a viable stack if you don't take it down.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 AM

Poooooosh
Old 05-25-2006, 12:03 PM

His range is 10s+, AQ+: how many of those hands do you think he's folding to a push here?

Pretty much none, if they include a club, maybe 10s-Js with no clubs, maybe AK with no clubs.

I mean, obviously I did push, thinking this guy is tight, maybe even tight enough to fold a much better hand and maybe I can catch up.

But afterwards, I wondered whether I could have made a small bet, folded to a raise, or just checked it to him. Again, whatever his hand, if he didn't have clubs I think he could check behind, worried by the absence of a C-bet.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:04 PM

He really doesn't reraise you with AK/TT+?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:08 PM

I've played with players like that, and if that is the case I think I find a way to check. It's too hard to put them on a hand and you have to play them like they could have any two (including QQ or AKc)
Old 05-25-2006, 12:17 PM

No, as it happens. I mean, without prejudicing discussion on the hand, I knew 'exactly' what cards he had when he flat-called. We'd been at the table for ages and I'd even gotton into the groove of min-raising him from the SB. He'd never called or played back at me. The table was generally quite wary of me because of a spectacularly misjudged resteal that I sucked out on, at the outset. This was the first time that anyone had played with me since.

Given the hand, I 'knew' he had, it was optimistic to think that he might fold that flop but I tried to assign a range rather than a hand and figured he might fold because of the clubs.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:23 PM

My guess would then be you put him on AQ w/ no clubs and called... Did he fold in a similar situation ever, or when a board is draw heavy like it was did you see him call it down w/ TPTK?