Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 03:07 PM

Default I hate being min-3bet (top two, reraised pot vs unknown)

Villain has only been sitting for about 20 hands, so no real reads, but he's been relatively quiet so far. Do I see AhA, KhK, AhQ, QQh often enough to continue here, or do I just drop the turn to the min-3bet? FWIW, he requested time for a brief moment before 3betting the turn.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($421.50)
CO ($298.20)
Hero ($396)
SB ($401.85)
BB ($372.80)
UTG ($556.10)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $40</font>, Hero calls $24.

Flop: ($82) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($82) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $82</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $148</font>, Hero ...?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: I hate being min-3bet (top two, reraised pot vs unknown)

Isn't the general principle - "if you're villain is taking a long time to make a decision and then puts in a raise/bet, then he's got the goods". I remember GP saying that this time is usually spent deciding what to raise/bet and not whether to continue/discontinue.

What range do you put him on based upon (1) a hand he'd 3-bet PF out of the blinds (assuming he's std TAG with his 3-bets OOP) and (2) 3-bet turn. Probably only AKs, right? I will say this. Be careful of those min-bet open donk bets ($16 into $82). Oftentimes these are just begging for a raise so they can 3-bet/shove. Obviously the downside is that calling such a small bet makes your hand fairly transparent.

I definitely think you should have fired at the flop though like 3/4 pot. He'll let you know how strong he is right there and then I think. And, I'm not convinced you needed to raise so much on the turn. I think a raise to something as little as $50-55 would achieve the same result. This guy is either sticking around or he isn't. Save yourself $30 or so by raising less on the turn...IF you decide to raise the turn that is, which I don't think is such bright idea. I think you have to play this face up from the turn onwards and try and showdown cheaply.

As played, hmmm you've got to call another $66 into an already $328 so almost 4:1...which is just about good enough to chase a boat. And, I think that turn raise (based on his subsequent 3-bet) priced you into committing. It's an icky spot but I think you've got to see this hand through to the bloody death since you raised so much on the turn.

Be interested to hear what others think about this spot. It's not a line I usually take but anyways....
Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 PM

Interesting spot, he has taken such a weird line. You would expect him to cbet the fd on the flop and TT and JJ are obviously unlikely so something like AhA KhK etc seems reasonable. You are getting such sick odds I would call and probably call a non heart river.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 PM

Not a fan of calling since I don't think I would want to fold to any river action. So I just get it in on the turn. Overpairs with a H in his hand makes up enough of his range, plus you aren't deep enough to really make 'big folds' like this.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:27 PM

what a horrible turn...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 PM

Villain thinks hes got the nuts here. Question is, does he think QQ+ is the nuts on this board?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:42 PM

what does everyone think about calling the turn?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 AM

I'd call his min 3 bet. River, depends on what comes. maybe you can get a cheap SD
Old 05-04-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call his min 3 bet. River, depends on what comes. maybe you can get a cheap SD

[/ QUOTE ]

agree. implied odds make up for a bit of that too
Old 05-04-2007, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree. implied odds make up for a bit of that too

[/ QUOTE ]

WTFFFF? We have the [censored] nuts right now. I am so happy to get it all in on the turn. If villian makes a bitch 3-bet, then checks a flush draw on the flop, good for him. I will LOL as I push this turn and stack AhAx (and some other stupid [censored].)

BTW I like the flop check OP.