Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Wierd Line with QQ NL 200

Just moved up to nl200 and this is first orbit at the table. Villain is a reg and is 18/14/4 or something like that. Just trying to change up my play. Thoughts?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

Hero (SB): $198.00
BB: $117.25
UTG: $246.30
CO: $200.00
BTN: $218.80

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $7.00</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls $6.00, BB folds

Flop: ($16) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($16) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $12.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $24.00</font>, CO calls $12.00

River: ($64) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $35.00</font>, Hero calls $35.00

Pot Size: $134.00 ($3 Rake)
Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Wierd Line with QQ NL 200

Don't "change up your play" when you move up.

I would call turn. I mean, we checked partly to induce bluffs - so why not let him bluff. By raising, we just give more money to better hands and build a bigger pot that will have a bigger bet on the river where we are oop - effectively screwing us. Also, no one is folding to a min-raise, you just make your own situation more difficult being oop on the river.

As played with ur wierd turn stuff, I would fold river.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:03 PM

Why does everyone feel the need to change the way they play just because they move up in stakes? The play doesn't change that much from level to level (100nl to 200nl isn't that drastic of a change, just a bit more aggressive PF). Just continue playing with the style you used at 100nl and you will be fine at 200nl.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't "change up your play" when you move up.

I would call turn. I mean, we checked partly to induce bluffs - so why not let him bluff. By raising, we just give more money to better hands and build a bigger pot that will have a bigger bet on the river where we are oop - effectively screwing us. Also, no one is folding to a min-raise, you just make your own situation more difficult being oop on the river.

As played with ur wierd turn stuff, I would fold river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

You just moved up and you just sat down, doesn't seem like a good time to "Mix Up" your play.

As played I would lead the flop, and look to show down as cheap as possible if my hand does not improve.

Guess: He hit the flush.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 PM

I happen to love the play, and think you're good here.

I cannot put him on anything, and him being a regular, he is capable of making this kind of move with air because your line is very sketchy.

These are the kind of lines that mess with a multi-tabling regulars head, and can be very profitable if you know what you're doing..

I'm confident you won this hand.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:12 PM

Let me clarify. I have over 100,000 hands at 1/2. I just have been playing .5/1 to rebuild the roll and get back into the swing of things. After he doesnt cb i dont put him on the king or the flushdraw and the river check is to induce a bluff. I think I get more value out of letting him take a stab at it then him calling any bets I make, and I dont want to give him the chance of taking it away from me with a raise.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me clarify. I have over 100,000 hands at 1/2. I just have been playing .5/1 to rebuild the roll and get back into the swing of things. After he doesnt cb i dont put him on the king or the flushdraw and the river check is to induce a bluff. I think I get more value out of letting him take a stab at it then him calling any bets I make, and I dont want to give him the chance of taking it away from me with a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, the flush draw cont bets.'

What did you put him on when he calls the turn c/r?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:24 PM

He isnt calling turn just to turn his hand into a bluff at the river? b/f or c/f river as played
Old 06-26-2007, 02:27 PM

Your play is strange. I prefer flat calling QQ in position. And typically when I flat call, its KK+, not really JJ/QQ. JJ/QQ are a bit too vulnerable IMO to be calling and c/r-ing nearly all flops.

Anyhow, given the way you got there, I would typically c/c the flop. He checked through. I think we can discount hands like AK (or other strong Ks)/sets/draws for the most part- I think that all of those hands typically bet the flop in position. I think his hand range is either weak Ks, marginal pairs like JJ/TT, I guess SOMETIMES draws.

Turn- I would typically donk the turn and usually call a raise. Your line would look weird. As played, your c/r...I dont really like it a whole lot. I think c/c = lead (lead only if you'll call a raise) &gt; c/r. I don't like c/r-ing a ton because there arent a tremendous amount of hands to call the turn...I mean, he might make a light call down with JJ or whatever because your line looks semi FOS, but in general, I don't like it as much.

Anyways, I think your river c/c is fine. Your line just looks so very strange that its hard to figure either of your ranges. Thoughts on betting $40 on the river?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:38 PM

I put him on a medium pocket pair, 88-JJ or middle connectors. Something like 78 or 56. Where he has a pair and figues he has the odds to draw to a better hand. The river I wasnt sure, cause if he has a one pair hand it has some showdown value so he might check behind so betting would be better. Oo the onther hand I really dont want him to raise repping the flush and I think he is more likely to bluff then to call down with TT if I bet.