Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 11:39 PM

Default $33 TT Resteal

Villan has been pretty tight

PartyPoker Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t 100(8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1885)
UTG+1 (t2733)
MP1 (t2225)
MP2 (t2055)
Hero (t3342)
Button (t1310)
SB (t1750)
BB (t4700)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises to t350</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero ?
Old 08-26-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Re: $33 TT Resteal

If the villain has been pretty tight, what makes you think this is a steal?
Old 08-27-2006, 12:23 AM

Dano, thats a good question. I guess what I was thinking here was that villan most likely had a decent hand, AJs+ 77+ and that I could get him to lay it down, and if he didn't, chances were good I wouldnt be in terrible shape.

Is this just not worth it here since I am in good shape and the blinds are still pretty low?

I am trying to step up my aggression a bit...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:26 AM

If this has been one of the first pots he has opened, I'd probably just fold. You're not getting proper odds to play for a set, and you can't feel that comfortable with an overpair.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:27 AM

Folding would be pretty standard IMO.

Pushing is too much. The stacks are just too deep (and we have biggie behind in the blinds as well - not overlooking the rare overcall possibility).

If we decide that pushing is too much, than reraising less than AI is equally problematic, despite obtaining position.

When considering hands that may merely call PF - we are likely going to be stacked when unders come, or will be unable to fire an uncommitting barrel on a flop that will most certainly bring overs.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:29 AM

I left out calling [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Not a bad option, as it does provide for alternatives in a more managable pot post...assuming we find ourselves HU (&lt;- not a small detail).

Fold&gt;Call IMO
Old 08-27-2006, 12:37 AM

Default *grunch*

This is a pretty tough spot...

This might be really weak but a lot of time I will just fold here if I have the standard amount of chips for level 3 (~1750). With your chips however I might call to see a flop and play accordingly but I'm still leaning towards fold here..

Scrilla
Old 08-27-2006, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dano, thats a good question. I guess what I was thinking here was that villan most likely had a decent hand, AJs+ 77+ and that I could get him to lay it down, and if he didn't, chances were good I would be in terrible shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems like you're risking too many chips here for a push to be that great. i dont hate calling, but folding is probably right if the guy has been tight.

this is a situation where i frequently used to donk off my chips and i guess experience has taught me better.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:51 AM

Clearly pushing is out of the question...If you read him for tight then this open raise does not scream 27o. Pushing = bad idea.

I like the call because you do have a decent hand + position on the raiser, who is not guarranteed to have an overpair but could very well have AK. Also don't forget that even tight players will make plays (if only less often), especially because they have the image to pull it off. If you do call, though, you will have to whip out your pot-size management skills to keep it small in case he does have you dominated.

IMO: calling &gt; folding &gt; closing out the tourny and letting yourself get blinded off while you make sweet love to your left hand &gt; pushing....
Old 08-27-2006, 01:52 AM

why?
you have an extremely healthy stack, you aren't even in the blinds, and there is no reason to give the table the impression that you like to push this early... save that for later.