Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Stud tourney noob question

7 stud hi tourney, stakes $200/400. 50 players left, 30 places pay. I have 1800 chips.

I'm the button with K7 in the hole, and a K showing. There's 1 limper who is showing an ace. I raise, bring-in folds, Ace calls.

I've played pot-limit 5 card draw with Ace before, and I know that he is very aggressive with good, but not great hands (raised the pot after the draw with Aces up, then called my pot-sized re-raise). He would also call a small raise with a hand like AQJ72, and draw 2. He will occasionally bluff, but he usually has a hand when he bets.

On 4th street I catch a 9 and he catches an 8. He check-raises me. I call.

5th street doesn't seem to help either of us, and he leads out. I would fold this without a thought in a cash game, unless I knew the player to be super aggressive. But here, I'm terribly short stacked; the antes and bring-ins are becomming downright painful. I'm not sure if I can afford to wait for a better spot.

2 questinons:

1) should I muck, or call down, hoping to catch a card and/or pick off a bluff?

2) From what I've written, what are the chances he has an ace in the hole? I would guess 85%. Am I giving him too much credit, or not enough?
Old 10-05-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Stud tourney noob question

What are the antes? If you are going to fold on 5th, you might as well fold to the check raise on 4th. Unless this player has been exceptionally tricky, I would just stick my money in here and hope for the best.