Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 12:42 AM

Default AA HU - how much action is too much?

Villain is slightly loose and very aggressive pre-flop (25/15) - his post flop he seems to be much more aggressive on the flop, tapering off a bit on the big streets. We've got a bit of back and forth in our history, and some mutual respect - but not that much.

I'm in the CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain opens in MP1, folds to me in the CO, I 3-bomb, folds back to villain, he calls.
HU to the flop for 7.5 SB [T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Villain bets, I call.
HU to the turn for 4.75BB [4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Villain checks, I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he caps
HU to the river for 12.75BB [T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain bets, I raise...

-d
Old 07-30-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: AA HU - how much action is too much?

I'm just raising the flop, but if I didn't I hate that turn 3bet. "donk/screwplay a brick" has been a flopped monster close to 100% of the time I've ever had it done to me, especially on boards where he can't have flopped top pair or some other overplaying candidate. For the same reason I'm not entirely sold on the river raise.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:52 PM

I think a river raise is spew. To be honest I don't even like the turn 3-bet. I definetly think you're behind to a T after the turn cap unless this guy is a maniac, and you're read seems to indicate otherwise. I look at it like this:

The flop is a judgement call so whatever, but i'll pick up the hand after the turn c/r. If you're ahead and three-bet, the best thing that is likely to happen is a call on the turn and river for two-more bets, although there is a good chance he'll fold one of these streets so you're looking at 1 or 0 more bets. If you're behind to a T on the turn and 3-bet, you open yourself up to another bet on the turn plus one on the river for 2-bets to get to showdown. But if you just call him down, you'll get 1 more bet in on the river almost for sure, without risking several bets when you're behind. Let's see if I can set it up in a chart:

3-bet turn when ahead = +2bb
3-bet turn when behind to a T = -3bb
call turn and river = +1bb

I like the enthusiasm, but i definetly am just calling down from the turn. Like I said, if I think this guy is a maniac, all this changes, but you indicated that he slows down on later streets.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 PM

Raise the flop. Call a 3 bet.
If he bets into you on the Turn after the 3 bet flop, then call.
Raise the river. If he had pocket 7s or 4s they just got counterfeited. If he has KK,QQ,JJ,99 etc. you still win. Your only worry is the case T.

Peace,
Mygtar
Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a river raise is spew. To be honest I don't even like the turn 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hating the turn 3-bet and liking the river raise are not mutually exclusive.

-McGee
Old 07-30-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the main reason I dislike the river raise as played is because I think villain's a favorite to have Tx. I know blah blah "it's the case T" but if you look at the action as played you're hoping he has exactly 77.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said they were.

I did think about it and decide that I don't mind the river raise though. I acutally like it in a naughty kind of way. The board pairing T is obv a huge help and think it's saved you enough times that river raise is worth the risk. I do think it's fairly close though, I wouldn't fault you for just calling. Personally I prefer the raise if I had just called the turn, but as played I think either is alright.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the main reason I dislike the river raise as played is because I think villain's a favorite to have Tx. I know blah blah "it's the case T" but if you look at the action as played you're hoping he has exactly 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

44 is a possibility, too.

I don't necessarily like the river raise; I just wanted to make the point that the river card puts us ahead of two hands that are within his VERY narrow range of holdings.

-McGee
Old 07-30-2007, 06:24 PM

Doesn't not raising the flop give the villain the idea that the flop missed and therefore his pair is better than AK-AJ? Not raising the flop almost reverses position in a headsup pot and puts the iniator on the defensive. I don't really think the river raise is necessarily spewing, but I'd call and pay off the rather rare case ten.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:31 PM

I'd raise this river for sure. He is much more likely to have 44 or 77 than the case T imo. What does he open in MP1 that contains a ten? AT maybe, but there's 3 tens on board, and we hold 2 aces. Given his aggression preflop he is probably ok with opening either 44 or 77, so that gives us 2 combos of AT, and 6 of 44/77, i.e. 75% chance we are ahead, ignoring hands such as KK/QQ. So the EV of raising is +1*0.75 -2*0.25 = +0.25.