Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 11:09 AM

Default My Dodgeball Arm needs work

I recently joined a dodgeball league. I have found that my arm gets strained after 20 minutes and I am throwing like a girl. Does anyone have any recommendations for a pitcher's workout? Or any exercises that will increase the strength and endurance of my arm?

I already workout my shoulders by bench pressing and doing lateral raises once a week. Any recommendations?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: My Dodgeball Arm needs work

I haven't played dodgeball much lately, but would it be better not to throw it like a baseball. The few times my friends and I have goofed around playing, I threw it like a soccer goalie. Not much strain on the arm, with practice it can get pretty accurate. More of a sling than a throw.

I'm sure someone wiser will chime in
Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 AM

Is the ball too big you can't "palm" it?? If so, then by all means do what Media suggested. And instead of going for the head shot everytime try to bounce it in front of your intended victim that way they have to jump and it eliminates them from going side-to-side or catching it mid-air.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:07 PM

How about those big rubber bands? It's elastic rubber tubing akin to bungee cord and you just tie it up somewhere and you do your throwing motion with the resistance from the rubber band. We used to use these to train for swimming.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the ball too big you can't "palm" it?? If so, then by all means do what Media suggested. And instead of going for the head shot everytime try to bounce it in front of your intended victim that way they have to jump and it eliminates them from going side-to-side or catching it mid-air.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this leauge, It has to hit them below the waist without touching the ground
Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played dodgeball much lately, but would it be better not to throw it like a baseball. The few times my friends and I have goofed around playing, I threw it like a soccer goalie. Not much strain on the arm, with practice it can get pretty accurate. More of a sling than a throw.

I'm sure someone wiser will chime in

[/ QUOTE ]
The guys who throw the hardest in the kickball and dodgeball leagues I've played in (for a few years now) throw it this way. I personally don't get the accuracy that I'd like when I sling it like this. I grew up playing catcher in baseball, so I've grown to have a quicker, more compact throw (think throwing out stealing baserunners). This style serves me pretty well playing dodgeball and kickball, as I'm pretty accurate with still pretty good velocity, and a much quicker release than the guys bringing it way back and slinging it around. If I try to bring the ball all the way back and throw like a pitcher all night, I get sore right near my armpit. No pain or soreness throwing like a catcher. Also, you need to learn to throw more with your body than just by swinging your arm through a throwing motion.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:04 PM

You may want to ask 2+2er Tyler Durden, he claims to be the jedi-master of dodgeball