Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 AM

Default This might just be an elaborate math question....

Like 4 AM or something $40/$80 game at CAZ. Pretty much the type of game you would expect at that hour, at times pretty crazy at other times pretty normal.

Preflop: Tight guy limps UTG. Laggy guy limps UTG +1. Horrible lady and another laggy guy limp, I limp in cutoff with 7d5d, overaggressive mostly but sometimes strangely passive small blind completes, big blind checks.

Flop: Qs 6d 3d. Big blind leads, Utg calls, utg + 1 calls, folded to me and I call, small blind check raises, big blind calls, utg 3 bets, utg + 1 now caps.

Easy fold or call? I just got back to my hotel room and I'm tired so I'll probably read this later and know the right play, but just curious to see what others think.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: This might just be an elaborate math question....

I think without even doing the math for you (which I'll do in a second), you're going to hear a massive "raise the flop" out of almost everyone in here. And by the time you've raised the flop and it's 2 cold back to you, it'll be an easy call.

I'll think about the 3 cold back and work out the numbers now...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:40 AM

"Easy fold"

am I on crack?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Easy fold"

am I on crack?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think so.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 AM

ok I got 7 small bets preflop, 12 more small bets in the pot on the flop with the action on you. 19 small bets without the almost guaranteed 5 more coming from sb, bb, utg when the action is back on them.

A conservative 19 to 3 (better then 6 to 1), as big as 24 to 3 (8 to 1).

Really the crux of the hand is deciding if your diamond draw is something you want to hit. Your 3 gutshot outs are clean. And then 1 more straight flush out. With so many villains in there, defining hand ranges is going to be tough. UTG sounds like a KQ, 66, 33, and then possibly the nut diamond draw with something like Axd. If he's not the one with the set, someone else surely has one. And that only nails down 2 villain holdings for us. the other 2 unknowns I just can't define their ranges. It's not that big of an action flop.

So 4 clean outs getting about 8 to 1 (best case). In a black and white world, that's a fold. The second anyone can justify the other diamonds being outs, that's a call (and really I'm not experienced enough to say they are, and maybe nobody is).

but I know that if you'd raised the flop when it was on you, you'd be calling 2 cold back, and that would be an easy call.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Easy fold"

am I on crack?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's only an easy fold if someone flashed you 2 diamonds higher then yours. Short of that, I agree we're going to have to see more cards. And as mentioned, there was a way to make this decision easier when the action was on us.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 AM

I don't think I'd ever fold here. Your implied odds when you hit your 4 outer make up for the slightly insufficient current price.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Easy fold"

am I on crack?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's only an easy fold if someone flashed you 2 diamonds higher then yours. Short of that, I agree we're going to have to see more cards. And as mentioned, there was a way to make this decision easier when the action was on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone else here *should* have diamonds and, even if they're lower (unlikely), that's 2 fewer outs. Judging by the flop action the pot seems likely to be hotly contested on the turn as well. If he makes his diamonds he may be paying off a bigger flush. If he hits his str8 he's got many players drawing against him. All of this is too uncertain for me. I fold.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:03 AM

Your implied odds when you hit your 4 outer make up for the slightly insufficient current price.

OP has a flush draw and a gut shot straight draw, along with a gutshot straight flush draw.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'd ever fold here. Your implied odds when you hit your 4 outer make up for the slightly insufficient current price.

[/ QUOTE ]

But surely you have to consider all the times when you hit your flush, and pay heavily into the turn and river with a loser (so reverse implied). With sets out there and higher flush draws, when we lose, we lose big.