Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 AM

Default BR post.....

My appoligies in advance if this has been covered before but I couldnt find it. I was experimenting with building my bank roll recently and found a system (hate that term) that has worked very well for me. For example...lets say I have a roll of $2000. What I should be doing is playing .25-.50 NL or .50-1.00 NL only.

However, I have found that if I play two to three tables say at .50-1.00 NL and and one 3.00-6.00 I have found that I can build a BR to a nice size inabling me to play 5-10 NL comfortably. Ive done this on two different sites now.

Yes Iam aware of the risk. Iam ok with loosing the 2k to start with so no loss if I screw up. Im interested in hearing from those who have tried this also successfully or not. What about the pros out there? Im sure many have taken huge gambles to build there rolls. Im not sure the TAG way to play with BR management is always the way to go. If youy can afford to lose I say PLAY where it can be most profitable.

Im sure some are saying, then why dont I stick the whole roll on a 10-20 NL game...well thats just crazy lol. The intenetion is to double up or win a couple of big pots on the bigger table and grind the lower ones.

Kooky yes but seems to work. Input.....
Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: BR post.....

A little unclear - if you have done this on a couple of sites and built a roll to comfotably play 5-10 NL then you should already have a nice roll (if you havn't spent it) to play at a nice level properly bankrolled.

Perhaps you have just been on the right side of variance until now. Can't stress the importance of BR enough - there are loads of threads on BR so wont go into that now I assume you know what stakes are right for what roll.

If you keep playing under-rolled variance will get you. However, if you have plenty of dosh you don't mind donking off then do what you like.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:11 AM

Ok, to clear this a bit. Im talking about playing as I had mentioned to build your roll...do or die. If it works out then play at the level of play that is suited for you..mine which happens to be 5-10 NL. But to get there on what I call the cheap..I do as I mentioned in the other post. Once rolled properly, I then play within my BR and follow regular BR management. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:14 AM

It doesn't really sound like you are getting there on the cheap though. you may be grinding a small amount at the the micro table you are playing, but i don't think that will make up for playing above your roll on the other table.
if this has worked before, and continues to, go for it, but doesn't sound like a safe way to build a BR. just my opinion
Old 09-18-2007, 02:28 AM

Afraid I couldn't advise anyone to play under-rolled. If you are good enough you will be able to move up in good time
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 AM

lol I find it really strange that no one...no one has attempted this. Im not saying there isnt a chance of going broke but Im prepared for that and will try again. If it cost me 4k to build a 25k roll I think its absolutely worth it. Only if you can afford and can accept loosing if it fails. Also, Im not saying you should go out blasting pots and what not. I'll play my normal style of semi-loose aggressive on 6 max lower NL tables and play solid hands on a bigger buy in table. If I hit a good pot or pots on the bigger table Im gone and call it a day. And by the way...yes, your absolutely right. It is not a safe way to build a BR and its not for everyone but it has worked for me. No one else dabble it this sort of thing.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:41 AM

Cant get much clearer then this. IAM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE SHOULD. NOR AM I SAYING IT IS SAFE BR MANAGEMENT. lmao Im just curious to hear stories similar to this, where they are now and so forth.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol I find it really strange that no one...no one has attempted this. Im not saying there isnt a chance of going broke but Im prepared for that and will try again. If it cost me 4k to build a 25k roll I think its absolutely worth it. Only if you can afford and can accept loosing if it fails. Also, Im not saying you should go out blasting pots and what not. I'll play my normal style of semi-loose aggressive on 6 max lower NL tables and play solid hands on a bigger buy in table. If I hit a good pot or pots on the bigger table Im gone and call it a day. And by the way...yes, your absolutely right. It is not a safe way to build a BR and its not for everyone but it has worked for me. No one else dabble it this sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mis-understand what we are saying. If you want to be a responsible player then BR is vital. Your BR is obviously not $2000 because you say if you lose it you will deposit another $2000. Therefore straight away your actual roll is $4000. In your situation perhaps even more if you will deposit again. The fact your entire BR is not on the poker site at one time does not mean it is not available to you.

If you just want to gamble and build a profit as soon as possible fine, go ahead, I’m not going to tell you that you shouldn’t.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:13 AM

hey, if hope to hit and run a big pot, then build your bankroll that way. or just deposit again if you go broke, then no problem, just keep doing that because that is the entertainment value for you, but we are just talking about having good BR management, from the beginning. i think it would be hard to work a bankroll up that way, then when you get to a predetermined level you suddenly start using proper BR management, you just stop trying this miracle strategy. most people that can't build it safe from the get go, won't be able to at the higher stakes. i feel that you should find a level that you can build your BR with no risk of ruin and move up accordingly. if you are winning as much as you say you are, then this won't be a problem, or take very long, at all. that is just my 2BB
Old 09-18-2007, 03:15 AM

Wrong thread