Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Ive become a tournament donkey!

At least its still limit tournaments [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i always hate this position. Should I bet 5th street, or is check/fold the move? Seat 3 & 7 play very loose and agressive, seat 6 tends to be showdown bound.

Tournament - HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level V (80/160), Ante 16, Bring-In 24 (converter)

Hero: 1,980
Seat 2: 1,373
Seat 3: 1,110
Seat 4: 816
Seat 5: 2,282
Seat 6: 3,790
Seat 7: 2,348
Seat 8: 4,051

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (3.40 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

5th Street - (5.70 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Ive become a tournament donkey!

5th is fine. You should have folded 3rd facing 4 or 5 low cards with one of them an ace.

Patty
Old 07-10-2007, 11:05 PM

This is why I wouldn't even get to 5th with this hand and the whole table limping in front of you. Fold 3rd.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:13 PM

I think the limp on third is fine, but you should check fourth. Good fold on fifth.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the limp on third is fine, but you should check fourth. Good fold on fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet 4th thinking the next player to act will likely raise, my goal was to get the hand heads up. Does that change your mind in any way?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have folded 3rd facing 4 or 5 low cards with one of them an ace.

Patty

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a tournament with lots of the opponents are limping in with odd holdings. I am essentially closing the action, the A before me doesn't matter at that point because the pot is so large - provided I play well post flop.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 AM

Well, your plan worked part-way. 42 did raise, which isn't entirely surprising. Two guys called behind you, which also isn't surprising. I don't know what the buy-in was for this prestigious event, but I'm guessing that it was on the low side, given all of this limping and calling of raises. With this kind of opposition, I think that you're a lot better off checking and hoping for a free card. In order for your bet to have the desired effect

1) 42 has to raise. A lot of these guys would just as soon see the river as cheaply as possible, even with moderately strong holdings. In this case in particular, 42 was the bring-in. He could have anything underneath.

2) Everyone else has to fold. Just because these guys checked doesn't mean that they're not prepared to take all raises.

For checking to have the desired effect, all that has to happen is that 42 has to check with a strongish board. Considering that he was the bring-in, this isn't too great of a stretch.

When I limp in with a dog like this, it is in the hopes that either I get hit hard on fourth, or I get a free card on fourth. I'm definitely checking.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:27 AM

I think you can call third for trips value or whatever, but when *four* of your outs are gone on fourth, just check/fold.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 AM

check/fold on fourth, pretty simple decision unless you catch a king or maybe a 6
Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 AM

Fold third because it's going to be pretty much impossible to play well, the dead 6 just makes me fold faster. I might limp along if my Kings were buried and everything was completely live (suits and 6s). Once you get to 4th street you should wish that you were in a live game so that you could just rip up your cards and be done with it because your hand has gone from a tropical storm to a full blown category 5 hurricane disaster.