Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 11:07 AM

Default 2k Hands, Am I am the right track?

Just played my first 2000 hands at 2c/5c on PokerStars and just wanted to know in what sections am I going wrong in or how could I improve my game, I have been playing fairly tight and I think thats all you need to do at this level. I have got 2 pics of some PT stats but if anyone would like to see anything else please ask and ill post. I know its only a tiny sample but if Im doing anything wrong its best to correct it while its not too late.

Thanks for looking

Steve
Old 10-11-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: 2k Hands, Am I am the right track?

2000 hands is a relatively small hand sample, but those stats look quite solid. One thing you left out is your post flop aggression (AF), how do those look?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:15 AM

That what you mean, I know my PF and Turn are low but dont know why.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 AM

You should be more concerned with your PF raise%, than PF AF. You look like you're not nearly betting out on enough flops, and you don't continue that on the turn. Your river AF looks fine, but your Flop/Turn are a little low.

I would be more concerned over the flop AF than anything else though. When you show strength before the flop, you should be making continuation bets a good portion of the time, especially when it's heads up after the flop and you have position. Make sure you're betting your strong hands heavy pre-flop, and continuing that after the flop.

You're showing winning stats right now, try upping the aggression a little at a time. Used correctly, aggression will help build pots for your strong hands, and take down many pots where villain has marginal holdings.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That what you mean, I know my PF and Turn are low but dont know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a check box in the summary page that excludes preflop numbers from your total aggression factor. You should check the box. Your pfr is sufficient for understanding pf aggression, and the total aggression should only be for post flop. In general, aggressive players will have about a 2.0 to 3.0+ total aggression factor post flop, but lower isn't necessarily bad. Your post flop aggression seems a little low by most on-ling "TAG" standards.

Over 20% vpip at full ring is a little loose, too. It seems to be working, however, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Keep going.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:34 PM

It's a small sample, but one thing that jumps out at me is that you defended the small blind to steals 30% of the time. That's very high. When you are in the small blind, you have the worst position, and you are only getting a tiny discount. You should be folding the small blind even in many limped pots.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 PM

Stats look generally okay. As pzhon said, you don't need to defend your blinds too often.

I'd like to see your win at showdown rate go up a bit, too. Only be sticking around with hands or plays that win if you can't win 'em by the turn.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 PM

Stats look pretty good. Raise more preflop as people said. Also, I think you are showing down too many hands. This is probably because you are not raising preflop / c-betting / double barreling enough. I show down about 15% of hands and win about 55% at showdown.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a check box in the summary page that excludes preflop numbers from your total aggression factor. You should check the box. Your pfr is sufficient for understanding pf aggression, and the total aggression should only be for post flop. In general, aggressive players will have about a 2.0 to 3.0+ total aggression factor post flop, but lower isn't necessarily bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at this and saw the box "Include pre-flop numbers in Total Agression Factor calculation" was checked. I dont' remember checking the box, so I'm guessing it is checked by default. Curiously, the box isn't included on the help page associated with this screen. Anyway, this is leading to the following questions.

If it is checked by default, then wouldn't most the stats you see posted here normally be that way?

If you uncheck the box (to exclude), then wouldn't that confuse questions and answers related to posted stats, since most people would be looking at that stat as it is normally posted?