Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Whats the minimum raise after a straddle

Blinds are £1 £1 someone staddles to £2 what is the minimum raise. I have always though the min raise would have to be to £4. But thinking about it just now the straddle has only raised by £1 and if you did not straddle but raised UTG then the next person could min raise to £3. Also what is the minimum bets on further rounds.

Mark.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Whats the minimum raise after a straddle

Minimum raise is to 3 and minimum bet on future rounds is still 1, or the same as the big blind.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM

The answer on this one is "it depends". It depends on the rule of the house you're in at the time. I've seen the straddle treated as the Biggest blind and all raises must be double that bet, and I've seen straddles treated as a blind raise so any raises must be the amount of the last raise. There is no right or wrong ruling on this one as lots of places do it different.

I hope this isn't a NL game you're referring to. WTF are people min raising for?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:21 PM

at the place I deal all raises must be double the previous bet. So in this case the blinds are 1 and 1 with a 2 straddle. The raise must be to 4 and then the minimum bet on all other streets is 1.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:29 PM

Generally in NL a straddle is treated as a third blind, so the min raise would be to double the straddle. A few years ago there was a lengthy discussion on here about this.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:12 PM

Funny, a memo was posted at my work the other day, clarifying this rule in our room. That this is such a hot topic, makes me sad. WHO THE HELL CARES???

$1-2 NL, straddle for $4. First player opens for $6 or $7.

"NO NO NO NO NO NO, he has to make it $8!!!"

The game stops for ten minutes while we argue over $2. WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE???? IS THERE ANYTHING IN YOUR LIFE THAT IS TOO INSIGNIFICANT TO ARGUE ABOUT???? At any point, do you shrug and say, "I've got $900 on the table, and I'm prepared to risk all of it, so I don't really care about this $2 ruling one way or the other."

(BTW, at our room, with blinds of $1-2 and a straddle of $4, the answer to this question is $6--but again, the fact that something so insignificant can lead to "a lengthy discussion on here about this" perfectly illustrates what drives me crazy about working in the poker business.)
Old 10-16-2007, 06:19 PM

I will say, people who attempt to min raise a straddle then complain about it, should never sit in a NL game ever again. They just won't ever comprehend it and probably suck at life too.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 PM

at our place the raise has to be double the previous amount. So with $1-$2 blinds and a $4 straddle, the minimum raise would be to $8, then $18, then $36 and so on. Makes life easier... I guess...

That and we also always have one small and one big. So if the small blind from the previous hand gets up the button moves to the BB and the next two players must post the SB and BB (yes that means that there are times where a player that HAS NOT paid the BB can pay the small blind only and then the next hand get the button). I call it blinds for dummies.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 PM

As others have stated, the issue boils down to whether it's a "3rd blind" or the "1st raise".

Not that it really matters all that much in a NL setting, but a good way to determine which it is is to look at the house rules for limit. At the house you're at, does the straddle count as the 1st raise towards the cap pre-flop?

If it does, then the straddle should count as a 1st raise and the minimum raise should be the amount of the difference between the big blind and the straddle.

If it doesn't, then the staddle should count as the "biggest blind" and the minimum raise should be double the straddle amount. (At most houses this would also mean the minimum bet on all further rounds is the size of the straddle. This makes me think the straddle should be treated as a raise as I know of no limit games where the straddle doubles the required bets on all streets.)
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at our place the raise has to be double the previous amount. So with $1-$2 blinds and a $4 straddle, the minimum raise would be to $8, then $18, then $36 and so on. Makes life easier... I guess...

[/ QUOTE ]

what??

If you count the straddle as a raise (to $4) then the next player can raise to $6 because the straddler raised $2.
Same in the next raise, the player can raise to $8 because the previous raise was $2.