Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Xpost from MTTF on minraises

Here.

I just really wanted some opinions from the STTF on this post. I've never cross-posted before, so let me know if this is uncool.

Basically I've been feeling lately that minraising post-flop is kinda like taking impetus without paying for it.

I'm gonna go reread the shadow's links on minraising.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Xpost from MTTF on minraises

[ QUOTE ]
3) Call if you were uncertain. And here's where it gets interesting. Villain's minraise may have created a WA/WB situation. If you call the flop and check the turn, you've given him the turn and river cards for a total price of t420, which is super-heca-awesome for villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is obviously the most intriguing and troublesome for tournament players. i dont think minraising is a situation where you can categorize what the villain is doing based on the buy in. i also find that the same player will lead out for a min raise and raise a raise with the minimum on what may be two completely different hand strengths/intentions.

I try to go by this as a general rule of thumb if i am completel readless and statless:

a) buy in/quality of the table: if im at a 5 dollar table and the table is generally dumb and laggy, im more likely to make a big raise with a decent but not great holding simply for the fact that players at these tables tyically have huge ranges on connected flops, and if you think theres even a 50% chance that your hand is best, often you will have to gamble with low buy in players who min bet in various situations.

b) implied threat: on the note of the above, if i have a moderate holding but am completely lost on the flop, and there are a lot of turns that could hurt me (any straight or flush card, any over card to my pp, etc...), and villain is aggressive, i KNOW that i am not going to be able to call and reevaluate on the turn because there will almost never be the option of me getting a free river because of the liklihood that the turn will help villain and also that the villain will keep firing at the pot. if my hand cannot win unimproved in the situations where i have a moderate holding on an exceedingly dangerous board, especially if it is early in the tourney, i will tend to dump the hand even if i think i might be best. the concept of the implied threat, imo, has cost a lot of players a lot of chips because they do a lot of "calling and reevaluating" when it really is not justified on later streets, and their most important decision, the flop, is tainted by this concept when they have the illusion that they can get cheap cards when they cannot.

I'm not sure how much sense anything I said actually made, im kinda sick, but i find these guidelines help me evaluate against the always hated minraise.

also, in the 5 and 6 dollar STTs, more often then not, if you reraise a minraise for 3x, often villain will trash his hand...if he calls or especially reraises and you have a moderate holding, you can safely and happily dump your hand. this has worked a great deal for me. gl.