Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 AM

Default Badugi & TD musings

Your playing 2-7 live, you take a break and return to notice the button is on your left. Is there more value in buying the button, posting behind the button, or waiting to your the big blind again? I'm firmly in the "buy the button" camp, do you see why?

Badugi - you look down and see AA33 double suited. If your the first person in the pot, in which seat do you have to be in to open? Are you willing to limp in, and if so once again which seat? I saw this hand UTG in a 7 handed game today, and it made me think really hard - there must be additional value in the blocking cards, at what point does the value overcome the value of position - or does that never occur?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Badugi & TD musings

i open AA33 in probably any position except maybe 7-handed UTG (which i may fold if there's a lot of competent players on my left). i never limp first in in badugi, and i 3-bet if i can call and i'm the first to do so, because if not, then i feel i'm playing the rest of the hand in the dark. others around here probably feel A3 is a pull hand and might limp it in any position or at least CO+1 and on.

are you playing the 60/120 BT game at the bellagio?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i open AA33 in probably any position except maybe 7-handed UTG (which i may fold if there's a lot of competent players on my left). i never limp first in in badugi, and i 3-bet if i can call and i'm the first to do so, because if not, then i feel i'm playing the rest of the hand in the dark. others around here probably feel A3 is a pull hand and might limp it in any position or at least CO+1 and on.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO I think your too loose. I do believe this hand's opening requirements should be loosened, but not that far. Remember Badugi is really a game of gutshots, you are usually playing to 6 outs for the median and will accept a worse scenario but in a multi-way pot your not always a favorite.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

IMHO I think your too loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. i am probably too loose from what is traditionally considered optimal.

i look for spots to play as opposed to looking for spots to fold. my opponents make too many mistakes (like free cards) and not snowing enough that i look for marginal ev spots early in the hand like AA33, hoping to turn them into +ev expectations later on.

in this same vane, the stronger opponents handcuff me. since they will 3 bet predraw (with a hand like 236) and snow with enough frequency that i wouldn't think of opening up A3 UTG or UTG+1 with 2 good players behind. especially if my image is loose and they've seen me open 2 card draws early.